Linguaholic

What do you think of the "Jejemon" Phenomenon

MissPotato

My complaint when it comes to the Jejemon craze is that it's quite hard to read text messages when they are typed in Jejemon. For those who don't know what Jejemon is, it's a method of texting wherein you type in different characters to replace letters and type in a different spelling for words. Like for instance, if you want to laugh in a text, you will input "hehe". But instead, they will input "jeje".

In short, I hate it. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

The "Jejemon" phenomenon are most use by the young people when sending text messages. I don't know if there are some adults who also use this in order to be updated in this craze. But for me I hate when somebody will send me text messages using this "Jejemon" phrases because it is not the proper way how to write words and phrases and anyway it should not be for fun.

• 2 months later...

I think the JEJEMON phenomenon is now slowly fading and replaced by the SELFIE phenomenon on FB and other social media sites.

Generally, I think this kind of phenomenon is either to try to impress or just plain vanity.

I am annoyed at people using this method of texting. I mean why go through all the trouble of replacing letters with numbers and even adding unnecessary letters (like "ph0w" instead of "po") when the purpose of texting is to actually send a message in a shorter manner, hence the term SMS or short message service. This is why most people replace the word "you" with the letter "u" when texting to save time and effort, while Jejemons go out of their way and type the word this way: "yuHh", adding unnecessary stuff instead of shortening the word, making it difficult for the one on the receiving end to understand the text message. Not only that, it is also a waste of time and effort to practice such methods as I'm sure it takes them an awful lot of time to text a simple sentence when they can send it in a minute using the usual (or normal) method.

I only get to receive jejemon messages from young people like teenagers, never from adults, so I guess that's a good sign. I also hate it, I hate reading it and I hate seeing how the letters are typed. I think the people who text in a jejemon way think that it's cute when in fact it's not.

• 2 months later...

This is what I think of it:  :sick:

Hahaha. But seriously, I understand that this is teenagers' ways of trying to be cutesy and flirty. I guess for them it doesn't sound annoying. I've done lots of cringe-worthy things as a teenager so I don't mind much and I think it's probably just a phase. What bothers me though is when adults use it. Definitely not age appropriate! Haha

It's annoying for me, although I really couldn't blame them for wanting to be "unique" in a world filled with unique people. As they say (unfortunately), "kanya-kanyang trip yan" .

Then again, if their using the language will harm not only their growth as Filipino speakers, but as a speaker of all languages in general, then I really do  hope they know the limits of the language they're using and that they are still recognizing the proper syntax and grammar of the language they really want to use.

Though I admit, I'm also a jejemon speaker, though I mainly use it for fun and to annoy my friends, haha!

• 1 month later...

Oh my god.

The trending phrase right now is BOOM PANISSSS. I'm soooooo f****** tired of that phrase! Everytime someone does anything they feel has any degree of impact, they end it with a heart BOOM! PANIS!

:angry:

It makes me physically ill. It has no meaning, and is already liberally used in media. I've simply had enough of it.

End rant.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of friends of mine who fell under the category. What bothers me are my friends who are jeje in terms of fashion and lifestyle. Sometimes the clothing choices do nothing but irk me. They could always wear something comfortable, and they could always diss the caps.

Either way, the base form of jeje (which I think could be shortcut texting) is okay for me, especially if you're in a hurry. But only if you're in a hurry or if you're conserving, say, texting load. Shortening the words are alright for me so long as it's understandable. But shortening the words and /then/ replacing letters with numbers and symbols somehow don't make sense.

As much as other people can consider this an art of its own, it somehow does worse than hurt heads. Instead of simply understanding and replying to a message, you sort of get the urge to destroy the world a few times before replying.

• 2 weeks later...

Either way, the base form of jeje (which I think could be shortcut texting) is okay for me, especially if you're in a hurry. But only if you're in a hurry or if you're conserving, say, texting load. Shortening the words are alright for me so long as it's understandable. But shortening the words and /then/ replacing letters with numbers and symbols somehow don't make sense.

As much as other people can consider this an art of its own, it somehow does worse than hurt heads. Instead of simply understanding and replying to a message, you sort of get the urge to destroy the world a few times before replying.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  I am quite a stickler when it comes to keeping things simple between me and persons I am dealing with, and if I receive a text message which contains anything about "jeje" I am starting to get pissed off, if not entirely angry.

While I wouldn't mind "jejemon" speakers as long as they convey the message clearly, text messages containing any forms of "jeje" is something I have little or no tolerance with.  I mean, has our society degenerated even more now?  Because of the "jejemon" phenomenon, we think that it's cool to be a "jeje" these days.  I say, it's not cool.  And I've also heard of the "BOOM! PANIS" phrase; that is just as bad as "jeje."  Because the media is using it liberally, expect teenagers to learn from them and adapt the message.

I have friends and students who text this way. It's very annoying. I usually tell them, especially my students, to not text me that way since if they do, I would instantly delete their messages without reading them, even if it's really important. It may sound harsh, but c'mon, if it's important, you wouldn't have me deciphering jejemon text, and just plainly tell me what you want to say.

• 3 months later...

Many! The reason why I tolerate them is because they are my friends. Anyway, I can forgive wrong grammar. I mean who doesn't make grammar mistakes, right? However, I cannot forgive Jejespeech because that is akin to bastardizing language. It's just not right. It is especially not cool.

• 1 month later...

I'm often been told that I'm from a really old generation.  :grin: Practically because it annoys me a lot as I truly have difficulty understanding them. Among friends who fairly have complete comprehension, I understand why they resort to this. In my mind, as SMS is a limited communication tool, jejemon is just a tool by avid users to express themselves differently. People, I notice, really has this need to be different from the pack. Jejemon i believe is one such attempt.

Never did I encounter one and if I'll have friends who are "jejemons" who text like crap, I would really face and talk him/her about it. Not that I want them to be formal or what but to teach them that it's hard to communicate and understand if they will do things the other party can't understand. Right now, the jejemon craze seems to be a minimal number now since Filipinos really have short term memories. We always find ways to have another "talk of the town" topics.

Good thing that I do not have a friend who enjoys or like to use the Jejemon language.  :grin:

I am not that pissed off in the Jejemon language but I will be irritated if I would received a Jejemon message cause it will be hard for me to understand especially if it is a long message. But on the bright side, it sounds quite cute or fun.

• 1 month later...

It's not as annoying or rampant as it used to be - but it is one of my biggest pet peeves. Do you have friends or colleagues who fell in this category?  :emo:

Well, sorry to say but it is annoying for me. I even find the beki talk more amusing than Jejemon. It sounds like childish talk to me. You know, like a mom or dad baby talking to their kids. It's gibberish talk. It's like you can never really talk seriously to someone talking like that. And you can't take him/her seriously as well.