Linguaholic

Are English apps useful for your learning? [ENGLISH]

Dieselfit

I've always been a fan of downloading language apps. To be honest, I've never really used them as much as one learning the language would. It might be because phones are used more for chatting or other things. Do you find them as useless as I do?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'm not actually downloading apps to my cell phone or tablet for a sole reason; I used to do it onto my computer and never use them, so why I should use the limited storage space of a mobile device (compared with a PC's HD size) with apps that I know I will not use?

Really, I remember great software that thought to be a great aid, but it was easier to me do a search for terms or doubts related to the learning of a language that launch an app.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what kind. Language learning "apps" are really just digitalized versions of already existing learning methods, made somewhat more convenient and accessible with modern technology. If something doesn't work for you in real life, downloading an app made for the same thing won't help you much.

That said, things like flashcards or are universally positive methods that have pretty much no drawbacks, and can be used by everyone. And there are apps like Duolingo which introduce more "game-like" elements to language learning, which speeds up the process for people who easily get bored or find it motivating to have a goal in front of them every day.

• 1 month later...

Language learning apps can be really useful to learn the basic of a language such as the alphabet, numbers, common phrases etc. I'm using them every now and then, not very often though.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about applications but the website Quizlet has helped me a lot throughout the years with learning new vocabulary and even some grammatical concepts.  Basically you enter words and it will create flashcards with them that you can play various games with on the Quizlet site.  30 minutes on the site and I'd have 30 new vocab words memorized for an English vocab quiz the next day.  It worked magically and I'm confident that they probably have an app now as well!

Yes they are. Trust me everything you can read or learn form is useful. Even if it's one word that you have learned from somewhere is useful sometimes. Try Duoling on your phone or you can visit duolingo.com if you want to use it online on your laptop/pc

I think so because you can use them where ever you are or whenever you have free time. You already have your phone on you, so you don't need to take an extra book with you. Always having it on hand might, also, make you more apt to study. Plus, apps tend to add a little interaction to your learning, which makes things more interesting. If something is more interesting, you are more likely to stick with it.

Not sure if you guys have heard of Pinsler app. I was told it's good that you'll be able to learn a new language if you work with it in just 30 minutes a day. Has anyone tried this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have downloaded several apps for learning Dutch, sadly it seems it's kinda hard to stick to using said apps.  I mean, most of the time I'm using my mobile I actually get carried away and forget about those apps. Most of them are  a bit boring, so you really need to have a big motivator on your side! Otherwise they will lie there all forgotten.

I will try to use mine, at least focus on one of them. I guess they can be really helpful to some, but said person must be super motivated to avoid other distractions and use the app instead!

They are! At least, for me.

Especially during the times when we had our Advanced Grammar classes, and most of the exams are composed of sentence correction (as in, a pure 100-item test where we're going to find out if sentences are structurally correct or not, and if not, we're supposed to rewrite the thing in its correct form), we really had to depend and check on English language apps.

But I think it's also fun to have things like these constantly test and help you reevaluate your language skills, especially if these apps get updated with the latest words that help you get updated, and it's also cool if they help you refresh your skills.