Linguaholic

Anyone here learned speak more than 2 languages very well?

Damien

When I was at school I became quite fluent in French and German and it's one of my biggest regrets that once I passed my exams that I let them drop away to the point where when I was in Paris I could barely order a beer. Hopefully, the grounding I had then will help as I try to learn again.

Some languages can be learned by listening to them a lot, but there are others that have very specifi accetuations in how some words mean different things depending on how they are pronounced. In enogish and spanish its easier to learn by just listening.

hey there

what is "very well" for you? Could you be a little bit more precise about that please ?

thank you  :cool:

Very well in my book would be to speak a language fluently and to be able to get your point across even if your accent is really strong.

GeorgeUK made a good point about this topic. I used to be quite good in German, but then I stopped using it for like 9 years and know it's extremly hard to talk with a german person. I still rememeber grammar rules and vocabulary, but I'm not thinking in that language, when I speak it.

Hi there- I am originally from a small island called Mauritius and over here we are taught (since day 1) to use both English and french at school. Actually, the official language of my country is English and the language that we use in everyday life is French. Plus, we are highly encouraged to learn a third language- therefore since I was at school I studied Hindi and I have recently learnt Chinese- So, yes I can speak more than 2 languages :)

HI!

I come from Malaysia, where we learn up to three languages in school from a young age. I could speak English, Malay and two dialects of Chinese by the time I was nine years' old and this is normal in Malaysia. I really enjoyed learning languages and am always testing my boundaries.

I have just been offered a job in France (yes, the interview was in French) so I can say that yes, I can function in that language too.

There are many countries in the world where multilingualism is the rule rather than the exception.

I grew up learning English at the same time as my native language of Vietnamese. Once I reached my teenage years, I noticed that I was starting to lose a lot of Vietnamese vocabulary because I wasn't using it as much anymore. I decided to take it upon myself to get back in touch with my culture's language and I taught myself how to not only speak more fluently, but I also started to read and write Vietnamese as well. When I started my undergraduate education, I majored in Spanish and took a year each of Italian and French. I love the logic in learning a language!!

• 2 weeks later...

I can proudly say and pat myself, because of what I have managed to achieve in last 2 years. I learned everything that I am typing in these 2 years only. Yes, English was never a part of my education. I was never taught anything other than some basic words like dog, cat, fish, etc.

I can now speak and write in English other than my native language.

Sadly no, still sruggling. I don't count my native language Bulgarian of course, so I can say that I know  well only one foreign language - English. I am the same like several people who commented before me - while studying, I was pretty good in French and in Russian, but as the years passed I let it drop. Now I am able to read a book in French, and to read and listen in Russian, but I will hardly make a conversation.

I am very impressed by everyone on here who can speak 3 or more languages. It's absolutely amazing especially when there are differences in dialect.