Linguaholic

First english novel you read?

Dame6089

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think Charlotte's Web was definitely one of the first full novels I read as a child too. The one that I remember reading very early on was Stuart Little which is also by E.B White! Great author for children's books!

I think my first novel was "Holes" by Louis Sachar. I don't remember much about the book and its plot mainly because it got made into a movie. The movie is really what I remember the most actually, sadly... But, all in all, it was the first novel I actually read.

• 2 months later...

I think it was Isaac Asimov's "Caves of Steel". I was probably about 11 or 12 then so I didn't really understand any of the subtext, but it was a really entertaining book for me. Probably one of the most entertaining books, at least for me.

The first English novel I read was A House for Mr. Biswas by V. S. Naipaul. Created within a caribbean setting , it was sort of close to home and very enlightening :cool:.I don't remember all the details but I hope to read it again someday.

Wow, it was such a long time ago. I'm thinking it might have been Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Grey, as that is the oldest English book on my shelf. I do remember having to pull out a dictionary to get the meaning of some words when I read that - might be time to give it another go.

• 5 weeks later...

It was Killing Time by Caleb Carr it is a Crime-thriller/Science-Fiction novel. All I remembered is the books is just bad. There's nothing soecial about the book but I still managed to finish the book.

I am pretty much convinced it was either 'Animal Farm' or '1984', both by George Orwell. I must have been 15 or 16 at the time, because I was in the 4th year at secondary school.

1984 sort of frightened me, because it was 1980 when I read those books and 1980 came pretty close back then.

I sort of was glad that we did not live in that type of society back then and that we, at that time, were living in a relatively free country. I remember wondering about the main character and I asked myself how it was possible that he was able to get all tangled up in Big Brother's web without even noticing it.

Nowadays, I feel that our society has developed into a society that comes closer and closer to the one portrayed in 1984.

However, I wonder how many people are really aware that this is happening?

Therefore, reading this book at some point of the high school/ secondary school should be made compulsary in my view.

I found this book to be very useful indeed.

The first english novel I read and thorouhly enjoyed was called 'The Wrath of God', it is a fiction novel written by Jack Higgins, I have enjoyed some of his other novels aswell, currently reading works by Adrian D'Hage and James Clavell.

• 2 months later...

I began reading (as in the serious kind) when I was in sixth grade when I bought this Dragonlance: Dragons of Winter Night book on a booksale. It was a difficult read for me (my language proficiency lacking and all), but it really made me have fun reading.

This was the start of my reading journey. Eventually, this was the one that pushed me to try writing, haha. I will always be in debt to the Dragonlance staff for their introducing me to the wonderful world of reading and writing and, eventually, the wonderful universe of Dungeons and Dragons.

• 3 months later...

I can't really remember but I think the first English novel that I've read was "The Phantom of the Opera". I was really young when I read it so I didn't really like it as much as I'd hoped but it was immediately followed by "Frankenstein". 

I wasn't really into books when I was young, but once at the library I took an Isaac Asimov book, it was one of his 'Foundation' series. After that, I just kept reading every other Asimov book, even 'I Robot', which was one of my favorites (not the movie though). Can't really remember the name of the first book, because I had to start the series from the beginning, but that was what got me into reading and books, and sci-fi.

• 2 weeks later...

The first novel that I've read in full was Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice.  Before, I was a fan of all things gothic, that's why the book intrigued me.  Even though I'm no longer a gothic fan, I still don't have any regrets reading the book, because Ms. Rice was such a wonderful writer and my vocabulary definitely widened bexause.of this book.

• 5 weeks later...

It must have been "Jude the Obscure" by Thomas Hardy. I read it when I was 14 when I lived in Romania and depicted a rather grim idea within my mind about England. When I moved to the UK, at 25 I often had the feeling that the book constructed in my mind and made me realise that was indeed a brilliantly written novel.

My first book was Shakespeare because I wanted to become an actress and I was obsessed with theater reading. I enjoyed it and continued on to read Nancy Drew and anything by Wilbur Smith. I love the classic books like Scott Fitzgerald novels and also I read a lovely book called the "gift" I cant rememberthe author but it was fantastic.

Another great one was "Lovely Bones" true story and very heart wrenching.

• 2 months later...

The first novel I read was by a Kenyan writer. I was so impressed because I had only read short stories as a child. Where I grew up writing was not considered as a career and most people did not consider reading novels not included in the school syllabus. My parents are both retired teachers and they encouraged us to read extensively.

I know I started reading novels when I was about 10 but I couldn't remember much about them anymore. What I vividly remember was the novel I read when I was 13 years old because I wrote a book review about it as an English requirement. It's Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol where the very popular Ebenezer Scrooge was the main cast. I loved it and even got scared at the point when ghosts came to visit him.