Linguaholic

English Slang Terms

How often do you use slang terms in regard to the English language. I have a friend who learned English as a second language and he has gotten so comfortable with the language, he regularly uses slang terms.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

As unfortunate (and possibly controversial) as this may sound, the use of the word "retard" has become very common in relation to other slang. "That's retarded" and "you retard" come up quite frequently. Heck, I've even heard my mom use it a few times.

As unfortunate (and possibly controversial) as this may sound, the use of the word "retard" has become very common in relation to other slang. "That's retarded" and "you retard" come up quite frequently. Heck, I've even heard my mom use it a few times.

Yes, you're right.  It has gotten very common, but still it is controversial and should be.  It's still derogatory and I'm glad that in recent years people have come to recognize it as such.  Celebrities and public figures who use the word will suffer backlash for it just as they would for using any other kind of slur that denigrates a specific group or segment of the population.

So to the larger issue of the use of slang, while some of it is quite colorful, when learning a new language -- in this case English -- it's important to know what terms and expressions are offensive.  Obviously there are some settings where you especially wouldn't want to use offensive slang such as in the workplace or any other professional setting.  It might be questionable to use slang generally, offensive or not, in such settings. 

I would venture to guess that the friend was not taught slang much if at all.  It is a fact of life there is a lot of slang and with multimedia, tv, the internet, videos, etc. that much of the "street language" is often presented in works done in the English language.  I also agree that before anyone simply "adopts" slang in a second language, to make sure they understand whether it can be offensive in use or a particular context.

I'm not too familiar, but I'm assuming that most of the internet slang we use now are in English, such as the term "LOL". So yeah, it's very easy to get used to it and it's certainly a lot more accessible for the average person to immerse themselves into it more than anything, not to mention they also provide the largest amount of entertainment which are, of course, in English.

I feel that regardless of your origin language, if you enjoy any form of rap and you understand English you will use slang terms. You have to know what they are speaking of in order to full appreciate the song. You will have to understand why they are saying a certain word in a certain place. We all know music is immensely helpful in learning another language. The slang we use comes from where we learned it. The difference between slacks and britches, I suppose.

Two slang expressions/idiomatic constructions that I find particularly interesting are when we use "like" and "go" to mean "say" or to paraphrase what someone says.

For example, the other day I was talking to my friend about the weather and he was like "rain doesn't bother me that much", and I'm like "easy for you to say, you work indoors". So he goes "maybe you should move your computer indoors." etc.

I always find these two interesting because, while I'm sure there are similar things in other languages, they sound very natural. Especially in informal speech among younger people (with like) and even older people will use "go" in this way.

I think that slang is really an important part of any language. I think that the human race as a whole loves social gatherings and loves to feel free from structure and regiment and so slang allows you to do that. You will find that every language has slang and some of this slang gets incorporated into the language and even the dictionary.

I use them in person a lot with my friends. I guess it's just the new generation. The thing that I do not like is that a lot of slang terms are being added to the dictionary. That basically ruins the purpose of a "slang" word as it is now an English word and therefore no different than another. Also when they add abbreviations to the dictionary it is one of my pet peeves. LOL is not a word, people need to get that right.

Slang has become so pervasive in the English language that in most circumstances it almost not like slang at all. Referring  to a friend as "dude" is the most common thing I can think of off the top of my head that is completely slang, but happens so frequently people may not even realize it as slang.

Slang has become so pervasive in the English language that in most circumstances it almost not like slang at all. Referring  to a friend as "dude" is the most common thing I can think of off the top of my head that is completely slang, but happens so frequently people may not even realize it as slang.

Pretty much. Language is constantly evolving, and words that were considered offensive "street language" are now becoming the norm across households worldwide. It's not only English either, most people are adopting slang words and using them in informal contexts without even thinking about it.