Linguaholic

Speaking Spanish Fluently

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

After 5-6 years of studying Spanish I can finally say and prove that I am fluent.

I am that late because the first four years, I was never asked to speak Spanish seriously. I only spoke twice for some oral exams (I study Spanish Philology by the way).

But, this January I moved to Spain for five months. I had a bit of trouble speaking the very first days. I just never had no other option than speak the language or not speak at all. By the end of my stay I was fluent on a really high level.

Eventually I want to get to the point that I can speak the language fluently but I'm long ways away. I also have to have perfect tough pronunciation. I find it really hard to roll my R's. Yet people say that I speak pretty well. But practice makes perfect so I keep going at it until I got it.

Eventually I want to get to the point that I can speak the language fluently but I'm long ways away. I also have to have perfect tough pronunciation. I find it really hard to roll my R's. Yet people say that I speak pretty well. But practice makes perfect so I keep going at it until I got it.

I also have trouble rolling my Rs. I've got a fake rolled R that I can use; to me it sounds completely different, but it's apparently acceptable.  :wink:

As for my fluency level, it's nowhere near anything. I really need to be forced to use Spanish, but I'm not sure how to approach that right now. Alas, I can't afford something as fun as staying in Spain or Mexico for a few months.

I would say I am fluent in spanish, but I still have to sometimes take the back door when talking because I don´t know the exact word I want to use, so I kinda talk around that missing word to get my point across.

I also still occassionally get blown away in some conversations when I miss a verb conjugation and totally misunderstand what the person was trying to say.  Usually happens when the skip pronouns and speed through the verb endings.

Being able to speak spanish fluently is definitely on my bucket list. I certainly cannot speak it fluently right now, but I am working towards that goal. I think for anyone who really wants to gain fluency quickly, you will have to live in a Spanish speaking country, or be exposed to it daily.

I am not fluent in Spanish yet, but it is definitely one of my goals for the next few years! It is true that visiting a Spanish-speaking country for a few months can improve fluency very much. Most of the replies here cite this! I would definitely like to visit one of these countries. If I have the vocabulary and grammar down, then I should be able to comprehend most of what others say and reply in Spanish. I believe that if I can surround myself with a constant Spanish-speaking environment, I can become fluent.

So if you really want to be fluent in Spanish, learn for a few years to be able to understand everything. Then make one of the Spanish-speaking countries a place to visit, and you will almost reach near-native fluency.

I'm quite fluent since I'm a native speaker :P  But seriusly, I do know a few persons who are quite fluent in spanish, so fluent they almost sound like a native spanish speaker sometimes.  It's truly amazing, because managing to do that is not an easy job!  I know, because my language has some really tricky words :P

Actually I know a guy, he is american and married to a mexican lady.  He stutters a lot when he speaks in english, but it seems his problem isn't as severe when he speaks spanish!  His amazing!  His accent is good, not 100% good.... but for a foreigner I must say he is doing great! So I believe a good fluency in spanish is completely possible.

• 2 years later...

Nope.  At this point, I'm lucky if I'm conversational.  The good news is that I can pick words out of conversations.  The bad news is that with two jobs and a two-year-old, it harder and harder to find time to learn.  Any downtime that I have goes to learning, but sadly, I don't have that much downtime. 

• 4 months later...

I totally get you, in the last months I have been so busy and stressed I just couldn't practice Dutch as much as I wanted to, and I don't even have a kid! I don't even want to imagine what it will be like when I have one.  But this morning I woke up telling myself: You are moving to the Netherlands, you better start working on Dutch again!''.  Have you tried Memrise :)  You could practice with it at least 5 minutes at a time.  I  will try that. 

• 1 month later...

Despite of being a spanish native. When I was a teenager, I pretty much sucked so hard at speaking since I stuttered a lot and was unable to handle an eloquent talk, due mostly to my  shyness and because anxiety was like a prom date to me. I started to speak out my thoughts and read more out loud, and worked wonders to me. Right now I can handle conferences without any crippling trace of scenic fears.

• 6 months later...

Im on a 10 year plan to become fluent and reach a B2 level.  Like most here I dont live in a spanish speaking country but I do expose myself the the spanish language daily.  I have been studying 1 hr a day for about a year now and still cant pass the A1 spanish test :lol: I wont be discourage though