Linguaholic

Do you Start sentences with Conjuctions like But?

wameyo

It's definitely not a norm to start to start a sentence with  conjunctions like "and", "but". Though most bloggers and online writers say it is okay to start a sentence with a conjunction. What is your take on this?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with "but."  The key is to make sure the sentence is a complete sentence and not a fragment. 

For instance, "but" can be used as a substitute for "however" at the start of a sentence. 

As in: "But the book meanders so much that as you read it you realize it needs editing."

Using "but" at the beginning of a sentence can also add emphasis. 

As in: "But as is usually the case, he quickly got lost without his GPS."

As I see it, this is a matter of using "but" to best advantage, but not overusing it.  You wouldn't want to start several sentences in a row with "but," as that would not be effective, and would probably wind up looking and sounding a bit awkward. 

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with "but."  The key is to make sure the sentence is a complete sentence and not a fragment. 

For instance, "but" can be used as a substitute for "however" at the start of a sentence. 

As in: "But the book meanders so much that as you read it you realize it needs editing."

Using "but" at the beginning of a sentence can also add emphasis. 

As in: "But as is usually the case, he quickly got lost without his GPS."

As I see it, this is a matter of using "but" to best advantage, but not overusing it.  You wouldn't want to start several sentences in a row with "but," as that would not be effective, and would probably wind up looking and sounding a bit awkward.

This is really well said. It is completely fine to start a sentence with a conjuction AS LONG as it's not a fragment.

You can start a sentence with a conjunction, but you shouldn't do it too often. If you find yourself using them too often, you should consider changing the style of your writing. Starting your sentences with conjunctions will annoy your readers if you do it too often.

I do however love doing it. I think it helps me truly express my thoughts and feelings.

I had always the same doubt about starting a sentence with a conjunction, but mostly tempted to use "but" among all others, but reading aloud my text gave me the hint that But is many times a good way to avoid repeat however and a few synonymous for this over and over through a given documents.

It's definitely not a norm to start to start a sentence with  conjunctions like "and", "but". Though most bloggers and online writers say it is okay to start a sentence with a conjunction. What is your take on this?

:amazed:Yup, I am guilty of this most times. It is not proper though; a transgression of the rules of the English language. I've transgressed so many times, it's only a matter of time before I get called up in judgement. I try not to use these conjunctions when writing professional articles though.

Actually yeah, I do! But only in very specific situations (see what I did there?  :smile:)

I find that sometimes, starting a sentence with a conjunction just makes things more fluid and sounds better. However, let me mention that English is not my first language, so I'm really not that qualified to comment on that, hahaha!  :tongue:

I'm fine with it and I do it on regular basis. I believe that the English language as we know it today has been created for the people, by the people, so moderating it in whatever way they feel comfortable (hey, as long as it  makes sense) should be fine. People have always enjoyed variations and I don't really think that this one is an unusual one. The bloggers and Internet users overall can contribute to a trend pretty actively. With the internet, all that's needed is for you to 'like' something and start following it.

This is one of those things that I remember being told never to do when I was learning to write as a child, but as I got older I realised teachers just tell you that so you won't get lazy and overdo it. :D So yes, it's perfectly acceptable to begin sentences with "and" or "but"; however, I'd recommend avoiding doing so if you're not comfortable with writing in English because it can become a bad habit if overused.

I don't start many sentences with conjunctions because during my early school years I was taught not to.  I do it on occasion now but I always have the voice of my junior high school English teacher yapping in my head telling me I'm wrong.  I know that its an okay thing to do but I still hear her voice!

No this is not good English! The only time I would use it, would be in a sentence such as this:

But for the goodness of the stranger, we would all have suffered. And again: But, this isn't a good example of good English.

It is grammatically correct to start a sentence with "but". When I was learning English a lot of people told me it wasn't allowed in the early stages because, it was not common too. But if you use it properly like I just did then there is nothing wrong. You want to use it for emphasis or in replacement for however. Good luck in learning English!

I normally do but not in formal writing. If I'm writing fiction, then I have the right to write as I damn well please. However, if I'm writing a cover letter or something similar then quite obviously I'll write my sentences the way the grammar book demands. Elsewhere, man. . .oh, the freedom!

It depends what I'm writing. Academically, I'd never start a sentence with "but" or "and". It's been drilled into me by teachers over the years. Outside of that, of course I would! There's nothing wrong with using conjunctions at the beginning of a sentence - it's just a style thing.

I think the main issue with using "but" everywhere is that the context is typically wrong. Starting a sentence with the word "but" without there being anything to follow up makes you sound like you're trying to prove something wrong, without there actually being such a thing present in the conversation to begin with. Sentences such as "Everyone but Jack arrived today.", or "I like these shoes, but they're a bit too tight." are grammatically correct uses.

I personally despise its usage as a way to follow up what another person said, though. It feels intrusive and annoying, it almost makes it sound like the person themselves was trying to use that word in the first place, as if to suggest "Surely, this is what you would say".

If you are speaking, then it is perfectly okay to start a sentence with a conjunction It is only really frowned upon when you are writing, especially if you are writing formally or for an exam, as then it isn't a good way to show off your linguistic skills by starting a sentence with a conjunction. Typically, the role of conjunctions are to link 2 sentences/clauses, not to start one.