Linguaholic

Do you Start sentences with Conjuctions like But?

wameyo

I really try not to, but it definitely happens. I'm not super strict with grammar, so small things like that don't really bother me much. When just talking to friends over IM or a game, grammar usually goes out the window, so it doesn't really matter. In school or anything serious, though, I really try not to.

I find it weird how teachers in highschool always tell you not to start sentences with conjunctions but in real life it's actually perfectly acceptable. I find nothing wrong with starting my sentences with "but" especially when it's already a really long sentences. It feels like it would make things easier on my readers.

I try to use good grammar whether it is a formal piece for work or a casual entry on a blog or a comment.  I think part of the "unlearning" process of proper grammar has been all the "casual" writing that proliferates on the internet.  People learn from what they are exposed to.  I have heard people argue about grammar and say "I see it all the time" and generally they are referring to something on line.  Almost anyone can have a blog or a website and I have seen a murder of the English language on them.

• 4 years later...