Linguaholic

Latin section?

Qub1

Hey,

At my school I'm currently studying Latin and I was wondering, why not add a section for classical languages such as Latin or Ancient Greek? It would certainly be interesting for others too as Latin is sort of the mother language of all other languages.

Just a small suggestion. So what do you think?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I was going to make that same suggestion myself! I think that many fun topics would emerge, from etymology to sayings and mottos! My native is language is greek and I've studied latin for two years, so I could be helpful!

What do you think?

I am happy to see that you would like to see some more language sections. I just added Latin and Greek and I will think about a more adequate listing for some of the languages (might gonna add a section for classical languages or so). For the moment being, I guess it is good enough to add them like other regular languages and I will be able to move the forums later on (in fact this is just a matter of a few seconds to move the forums to other categories).

Hopefully there will be lots of new interesting threads in those forums! Thank you very much for the suggestions!

:smile:

• 4 weeks later...

That's a good idea. I love finding out what the roots of the words that we use everyday are. I used to study that in school. They taught out root words in order to help us with our spelling. In many countries, up to few decades ago, it was common for students to study Latin along with their other subjects. I think it would be fun to do it here.

Instead of Latin specifically, as it is quite of a niche, hobbyist type of language, I propose we have perhaps have a general Ancient Languages type of forum, for all the other ancient/dead language goodies in one place. I see a lot of potential for a fruitful interesting discussion myself. :)

As a Latin section has been requested by quite a few members, it is now online. At a later stage, we might put classical languages together  in a new  subforum called "classical languages" or so.

Have fun in the new subforum and hopefully lots of interesting threads will be created in there. If there is someone who would like to moderate the latin section, please let me know. This person should have a (at least) a basic knowledge about Latin of course. Thank you everyone!

regards

PS: We now have 100 forums in total on linguaholic.com. Awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant! I do like the idea of an Ancient Languages section where Latin, Ancient Greek as well as Sanskrit could be learnt, discussed and exchanged. Doing so would enable to understand root words of many today's languages while it will also give us insight to the cultures of forgotten cultures.

Likewise, I also suggest to have a forum titled Origins of Languages where people can gather and provide information, research or personal opinions on the origins of Language itself. Furthermore, people can also compare and contrast ancient languages to find common base words as well as discovering the original language. People could even share documentaries or research links relevant to finding the foundations of human languages.

For example, by having the Ancient Languages forum, people who know Latin, Ancient Greek or Sanskrit can compare their words and find out about their common ancestor (Proto-Indo-European). The Origin of Languages section can provide theories and research finds from academic sources... and if the section is successful, we can have a solid discussion from linguists who could contribute startling discoveries.

Regards,

The Antiquarian.

I think that's a fantastic idea! I took Latin in High School and am hoping to pick it up again soon...and I would absolutely love a forum for that specifically with others interested in learning. I've always had a fascination with ancient languages.