Linguaholic

Learning a new accent.

mansa

A really funny thing for me is watching my friends go to another country for about a week and come back with a completely different accent. I have never been able to lose my accent because i love it. I have however always wondered how does one get a new accent.

Talking with natives helps a lot. I have English boyfriend and I work almost only with English people (all in London). I noticed a huge change after 2 years and I was told by many people how much I improved.

I know I'm getting a bit of London/Cockney accent and I absolutely love it! I'm hoping to come through unrecognized as a foreigner in 5 years lol.

This is true! I have problems trying to talk with a different accent than mine despite I would like because it's funny.

However I just recalled that, while in college, we had two classmates from Texas, and after a few months people used to ask why all of us were talking that howdy party way.

Fun fact is that none of us at the classroom had released we got naturally the accent from them.

Learning a new accent can be hard for some people, because they are not used to doing so. I remember when I was in high school I had a teacher, that was strict about that. She would always want use to speak in Spanish, but also sound like a Spanish speaking person as well. She would get mad if our accent was not on point. Which was hard because you have to train yourself to speak that way, especially rolling it off the tongue correctly.

I'm dying to hear my accent once I come back from the Netherlands!  I bet my accent will change a little. I'm not worried about it tho. I personally love the accent dutch people has when they speak english, my guy sounds like the guy from the Rush movie that was portraying ''Niki Lauda''.  It's so charming :P  At first I felt kinda bothered, but after a while it started to sound more and more charming!