Linguaholic

Words that you find are spelt wrong

mansa

I often come across a lot of words that to me are really spelt wrong such as centre. I really feel that it should be senter. I guess enlish is not a phonetic language and so we should not make it so. But it would be nice to hear words that others find the spelling to not be so amusing.

I do a double take whenever I see "doughnut" instead of "donut". I don't know why there are two extremely similar words for the same item. It's just confusing.

It happens to me once too. I spelt "Doughnut" to "Donnut", which was a big mistake because I didn't usually misspell words. It sure was confusing to me. :(

I do a double take whenever I see "doughnut" instead of "donut". I don't know why there are two extremely similar words for the same item. It's just confusing.

Yeah, I've come across the same thing a few times before. I think originally it was called a doughnut because its made of dough, and as time went by, people simplified the word to donut. I don't think its correct to spell it as donut though.

I have that same feeling about "comfortable". I know it shouldn't change spelling because that would be etymologically wrong, but I don't get how it came to be pronounced that way!

I've only recently found out that a word "surprising" (and also "surprise") is not supposed to be spelt "suprising". I wrote it like that my entire life! Such a shame... I still think my version looks better.

One of the most common mistakes I made was the spelling of 'vacuum'. Many students including me would write 'vaccum' because that was how we pronounced it. Another one was 'acknowledgement', I still don't know whether the 'd' is present before the g or not. Sometimes I get it right if I'm lucky.

Yeah, I've come across the same thing a few times before. I think originally it was called a doughnut because its made of dough, and as time went by, people simplified the word to donut. I don't think its correct to spell it as donut though.

Agree, I believe the correct way to spell it is still doughnut, but television (particularly "The Simpsons" show) and colloquial language has made it to be simply "donut" and even donnut.

I have seen this latter spelling more often lately.

This surely made an impression to me as well. When I first started learning the language I had no clue there were such differences. I guess it all comes down to the fact that British English is much older than American English so in the British version it's all about how fancy the word looks, whilst in the American, it's all about the form of the word that'd be easier to use.

English language has it's roots from all around Europe and is mainly a Germanic language. A lot of the spellings of English words are traditional spellings with silent letters and lets face it, unusual spellings.

American English only had English to go by for many years so a lot of the traditional words would be spelled differently and in fairness, quite often are spelled (Spelt??) better.

Colour - Color

Cosy - Cozy

Favourite - Favorite

I can see why the American English is preferred as at times it is much easier and sometimes just looks right compared to UK English. The only thing I really don't like is the Americanism of "Z" in words,

AuthoriZe,

CategoriZe,

Just doesn't sit right.

The word that I often see used as an example of how un-intuitive English spelling is is "Colonel". It looks literally nothing like how it's pronounced, which is of course "kernel".

Yep. I've had people correct me when I use this username, but what they don't realize is that it's on purpose. Most of my usernames are "kernelcolonel" because of the interesting homophone. But usually most people don't know about "colonel".

• 3 weeks later...

I have found the word amateur misspelled by nearly everyone or place it is used.  The word itself ends with a French suffix eur which is usually an equivalent of English suffix er meaning we always tend to misspell this word.  Am I wrong guys to say the word is misspelled?

There are many words in the American vocabulary, that are becoming part of the 'Urban Dictionary'.

The correct word is Doughnut, because is made of dough.

However, as history of language proves, languages, change and evolve over time. Does it make it correct, hmm. we should ask the person that came up with the word in the first place. As a word comes up, gets used more and more, changes can be made, that would make the word, stand out as "now is ok to spell that way."

When I first learned English grammar, phonics, and spelling, I had confusion with the language, words, spelling and meaning.

I think it is natural to feel that way regarding any new language.

I think another is judgment. It also has a weird spelling rule because it could also be spelled as judgement with an "e" instead of judgment. I prefer to use judgement though. How do you guys spell it?

I was thinking of this too while browsing through the thread! I spell it "judgment" because I know it's right. It does feel extremely like "judgement" though, but I don't use that.

I know that another common misspelling is "misspell" because there are two "s"s. I find it amusing because it is funny when someone wants to point out something is misspelled and says it's "mispelled."

It happens to me once too. I spelt "Doughnut" to "Donnut", which was a big mistake because I didn't usually misspell words. It sure was confusing to me. :(

Haha . I find that to be very funny. Well its how you pronounce you words. I spelt " navel " but because of our Jamaican language we pronounce and spell it incorrectly so instead of "navel" we spell it 

"nabel" . That is so funny.

The word "privilege" is a commonly misspelled word, I think. I admit that even I would have trouble with it each time without spellcheck because I always get confused if there should be a letter "D" in there. I know some people might even mistake the spelling for "privelege" or "privilage" sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I often come across a lot of words that to me are really spelt wrong such as centre. I really feel that it should be senter. I guess enlish is not a phonetic language and so we should not make it so. But it would be nice to hear words that others find the spelling to not be so amusing.

Words like Vacuum, the silent [E] on this is married the and joined him inside the word, where they are living ever since. Well the evidence is suggestive but not conclusive . Anyway, spell this word with two 's and not like "volume".