Linguaholic

Most beautiful building in your town

Hey everyone. I teach English to Germans and this is a nice little writing exercise that I sometimes do. Since I was planning on posting a little bit in the German lounge area, I thought I'd give back a little too, by posting here. The idea is simple: describe the most beautiful building in your home town/city (or closest city to you). Using wikipedia (especially English wikipedia) and a dictionary is encouraged. I'll do my best to correct any entries anyone posts.

As always, here is a sample text from me to give you some ideas.

The most beautiful building in my town is the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It is outside of the city on a large hill overlooking the rest of the city.

A contest was held in 1895 to design the museum, but construction did not begin until 1907. The building was not finished until 1928. The delay was caused by design disagreements and material shortages during the first world war.

Because they built it outside the city, there are no other large buildings nearby. So you can still see how impressive it looked when it was first built.

Inside the museum there are several wings which hold more than 200,000 original pieces of art. There are paintings and sculptures some of which are thousands of years old. The main hall of the museum is decorated with several large, beautiful paintings paintings and and sculptures.

One thing that tourists love to do, however, is to run up the huge set of stairs outside of the museum. Year round people can be seen recreating this scene from the movie \emph{Rocky.} Of course, there is plenty to see inside the museum as well. My favorite piece inside the museum is an exhibition piece by Marcel Duchamp called: 'Etant donnésü. He spent the last 25 years of his life working on it.

It costs $20 to enter the museum, but there are discounts for students and children. If you are ever in Philadelphia it is definitely worth seeing.

You can of course write something longer or shorter and feel free to discuss what other people submit :).

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

The town I live in is actually the borough of a larger town.  For many years it was a mill town and not only do the old mill still exist they have been rehabbed into spaces for artists.  The whole layout is quirky and one cannot appreciate the uniqueness of it unless they are on foot.  Many of the houses were built in the mid 1860's and I love the look of them with their porches and carriage houses.

The little town I live was completely destroyed during World War 2 and now it's just a suburban town with no interesting buildings. The capital of Lithuania which is roughly 20 minutes away from where I live has a lot of beautiful buildings, I can't even pick one because that would be unfair to the rest of them.

The little town I live was completely destroyed during World War 2 and now it's just a suburban town with no interesting buildings. The capital of Lithuania which is roughly 20 minutes away from where I live has a lot of beautiful buildings, I can't even pick one because that would be unfair to the rest of them.

To improve this post, I suggest the following fixes:

- "The little town I live in was completely destroyed during World War 2"

- "The capital of Lithuania, which is roughly 20 minutes away from where I live, has a lot of beautiful buildings; I can't even pick one because that would be unfair to the rest of them." This is just a punctuation correction, to clarify the rhythm of the sentence. Commas tell us the detail of the preceding fragment. They can also be replaced with brackets (for example: "The capital of Lithuania (which is roughly 20 minutes away from where I live) has a lot of beautiful buildings." I've added a semicolon to show that your next fragment is still connected.

Not sure if the punctuation help is desired here, but I find it can be great to teach folks whenever the need arises..!

For me, the most beautiful building in Stockholm is the Royal Opera House. It has a neoclassical front facade. I have always passed by its statues, arches, and columns that were said to be of Corinthian and Tuscan designs. The auditorium can accommodate to more than a thousand people, has this elegant chandelier, and paintings on the ceiling by one of the most popular painters in Sweden in the 1800's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... I live in a small rural village, so there aren't many big beautiful buildings. But our church really stands out. It is really well done and looks majestic illuminated on snow nights. Much as the exterior, the interior of our church is really beautiful, with gold and dark red colors prevailing.

Here on our state their are wide number of beautiful buildings that can catch the eye of every person but as for the town where I am recently living there is this tower which is the largest in the entire country and East Africa. I love the extensiveness of the tower besides its beautiful makeups and creations.

• 1 month later...

I live in a very small town was settled in the mid 1800's.  They have taken great care to keep many of the houses and larger structures within period including renovating an old mill that is used for artists and other businesses.  Its delightful to walk around in and not be bombarded with giant neon signs, traffic lights, and convenience stores.

Lahore is full of historic and beautiful places and buildings. My two favourites are Mainar-e-Pakistan and the Royal Mosque which is very beautiful, histroic and very huge as well. Mainar-e-Pakistan is a very high tower which is build on the place where the Pakistan resolution got passed, it is very close to our hearts as a nation.

• 1 month later...

In a suburb of Victoria BC is Hatley Castle. It's over a hundred years old, built in the British style, and covered with vines. Some of you have probably seen it - it was the school for mutants in the first three X-Men movies with Patrick Stewart! Now it's a university. During World War II, the British government purchased it so the royal family could evacuate there in case the German invasion was successful.

I live in Jamaica. I think the most beautiful building in my town is the Rosehall Great House, named after the wife of George Ash. It sits high on a hill overlooking the coast and was built in the style of a Georgian mansion. The great House was inherited in the 1800's by an English family. A family member had a wife named Anne who has been rumored to have used black magic to kill multiple husbands and lovers. It is said that people still experience her ghost when they visit the Great House.

Living in Toronto I would obviously have to say that the most beautiful building is the CN Tower especially because of the fact that it shines beautiful colours during the night. It's an amazing and extravagent sight.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really know any beautiful buildings in my town, but I'm a few miles away from Manhattan, New York.  If you do get a chance to visit, you will feel like you are surrounded in a concrete jungle and I do have to say it is quite mesmerizing seeing all the tall buildings.

I believe this is one of the most beautiful buildings in my city:

J_Issa012cWEBfirma.jpg

This place is named ''La Quinta Gameros'', it's located very close to Chihuahua's downtown (the place where I live).  Here are more pictures of this amazing place:

Quinta8.jpg

gameros2.jpg

2e3a650vi4.jpg

This is one of the oldest and most popular manors in my country, it was built by Don Julio Corredor Latorre, a Colombian architect. This manor used to belong to a man named ''Don Manuel Gameros''. This building was finished back in 1910. It has a lot history!

• 2 months later...

Nice building guys.  :smile:

I'm from Manila and for me the most beautiful building here is the Basilica Minore de San Sebastian, better known here as the San Sebastian Church.  I love castles and for me it looked like one.  I also love the history of this church.

The San Sebastian Church was completed in 1891. It is reputed that the engineer behind the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty (Gustave Eiffel) was involved with the design and construction of the church.  It is the only steel church in all of Asia and now named as one of the World Heritage Sites.  :smile:

6019noticia_basilica_san_sebastian.jpg?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true

• 4 months later...

There are several beautiful buildings in my nation especially in the capital center. There is an old building called Kenyatta conference center where many activities are held. This building is named after our first president. It stands majestic in a beautiful setting; the portrait of our first president is crafted in stone with water fountains around the building; it is so breathtaking.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Probably the Governor's Palace. It's not really a house, more like a political station. There are art showings frequently happening in there, and it's such a beautiful place, a really preserved old architecture masterpiece.

• 2 months later...

There's just a couple of them where I live that I really like... but definitely my favorite one is el Templo Expiatorio del Santísimo Sacramento. I don't know too much about the history of it but it's a church built in 1897 when all the architecture was influenced by the neogothical style. It's really pretty and even if I'm not a religious person I really like going there just to take a good look around the area. There's a lot of amazing food around it, which makes it much better. Here's a picture of it. 

expiatorio-guadalajara-jalisco.jpg