Linguaholic

Help with the word strength

Davvaa

Hi, can someone please confirm if this means strength? It is for a tattoo and want to make sure that it actually means or says strength https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/478437160390605623/. I know it says strength in english but someone has told me it means air and unsure if they are correct or not. Any help is appreciated

Thanks

11 hours ago, Davvaa said:

Hi, can someone please confirm if this means strength? It is for a tattoo and want to make sure that it actually means or says strength https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/478437160390605623/. I know it says strength in english but someone has told me it means air and unsure if they are correct or not. Any help is appreciated

Thanks

This is the traditional character for Qì. The simplified version of the character is 气.

It has a couple of meanings. One of the meanings is indeed air. Another common meaning of 气 is (vital) energy rather than strength. 

You can see the different meanings of the character here:

Keep in mind that an isolated chinese character almost always have many different meanings and in modern chinese is usually used togeter with at least one more character to form a noun. 

The character 气.jpg

Thank you for for your response and clarifying that it means air, i dont understand chinese at all and looking for the kanji for strength ( meaning a person is mentally strong i.e been through a bad time and came out the other side) as it is for a meaningful tattoo, sorry if this is not the correct place to ask but want to be certain it is the correct kanji sign, any further help would be much appreciated.