Linguaholic

Question about an idiomatic expression in German

lord finesse

The meaning is not th same in every context but it often means to „party hard“. Let me provide a sample sentence:

Heute abend sollten wir mal wieder so richtig auf den Putz hauen!

„Let’s party hard tonight!“  // Let’s all go crazy tonight…. :angel:

(It would be good if you could provide the context ; it will be much easier to give you an accurate answer)

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to context, idioms often vary by region/state. My friends speak Bavarian German as opposed to Haucht Deutch, or "high German" which is a purer dialect spoken almost exclusively in the north. I often ask them to repeat something in high German since that is what we learn, sort of like when I was learning Spanish and it varies widely depending upon which country's (or region's) version you learn.

The different dialects and accents of German can make learning it (while traveling across the German-speaking regions) to be a real challenge. I think the hardest accent for me has to be Swiss German. I had some friends from Zurich who would speak in their dialect and all I can understand would be "Nee" or No"! They also roll their "Rs" like the Italians and use a lot of guttural "kch" sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Correct, "auf den Putz hauen" is an idiom from the 50s/60s, but it still still widely understood. It can also refer to "create trouble" or "complaining in a very strong manner".

It literally means to knock on the wall's stukko, so hard that it crumbles off. Of course, this was once the original saying, and nobody means that literally anymore, but that is where it's going back to.