Linguaholic

Writing about fiction?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Uh, that is strange thing to say because, for what I know, writing in present tense is hard (you mix up tenses by accident and such) and is mainly used just in script writing (where everything has to be in present tense). When I was in college and had to do scripts, it was a royal pain in the ass, I always had to re-read the whole script about 3 times to find all the errors of tenses.  :bored:

Yeah, unless I was writing a script, I wouldn't know why your English teacher would enforce the present tense. If anything, present tense is the tense I've used the least when writing things like short stories or poems.

I need to add to the chorus.  I agree that I am not sure why your teacher recommended it.  The assumption I would make (from having taught before) is that there is a reason behind it, and you should follow it in terms of it being an assignment.  Perhaps this was not an overall recommendation, but for purposes of seeing whether you could differentiate and be consistent in tense.

So my teacher said if I want to write about fiction, I have to write in the present tense. As someone who is not that good in English, I have no idea why...

I guess your teacher wants to challenge your mind. But it's definitely ok to write your fictional novels or books in the past tense. Once you master the present tense writing though, you know that you have developed into a proficient writer.

I need to add to the chorus.  I agree that I am not sure why your teacher recommended it.  The assumption I would make (from having taught before) is that there is a reason behind it, and you should follow it in terms of it being an assignment.  Perhaps this was not an overall recommendation, but for purposes of seeing whether you could differentiate and be consistent in tense.

Yes, I agree.  Your teacher's recommendation might indeed be specific to your assignment.  If it's at all possible and appropriate, you might want to inquire and find out more from your teacher and perhaps get some further guidance. 

In general it can be cumbersome to write in present tense for the reasons others here have stated.  It's easy to find yourself switching back from present to past, if you're not careful. 

• 4 years later...