Linguaholic

Do you watch movies with or without subtitles?

jodig

So, when you rent a blu ray for a night at home, do you prefer to watch your movie with or without the subtitles?

I personally watch mostly english speaking films with english subtitles. This way, I make sure I don't miss out anything. Why in english? Well, this way I don't miss anything in the translation too!

How about you guys?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I used to watch English speaking films with English subtitles as well, but now I find it more challenging for me watching them without subtitles at all, but it depends: if it is British English, not a chance!  :wink:

People that want to learn English faster than from studying in paper should get themselves an English spoken movie with subtitles in their prime language and start from there, don't you think? That's how I learned English for the most part.

For quite some time always with subtitles, but I wonder if all you learn is to read well doing that. The reason is I already can write/read much better than speak and listen. When watching without subtitles I often don't understand half of what's being said.

I'd turn the subtitles on if there was absolutely no other choice for me to understand the movie, otherwise, I prefer to keep them turned off. I don't mind having them, but I prefer not to have text blocking the picture as much as possible, especially if the movie's in English and I can understand it relatively well anyway.

I'm beginning to lean towards "with". I don't mind the reading at all, though for comedies it kind of messes with the timing. But sometimes in a social situation, people talk over top of the movie when I'm really interested in a particular scene, and that's when I wish subtitles were on.

I speak English and so I don't need subtitles to watch English movies, but other languages, yes. I use subtitles for Hindi films and Japanese animated shows. Some people may say that it is very distracting, but I don't think so; I think it's a great way to pick up on small bits of the language. Though, I know that the subtitles are sometime wrong.

I rarely watch them with subtitles - most of what I watch is in English. When I am watching a foreign film, I always have subtitles on, sometimes I'll put subtitles on during the English film as well though. I have a film (that's in English) that has Swedish subtitles hard-coded into the film. I forget they are there and don't notice them after awhile, so they don't help me learn the language.

For a foreign film, then to follow the story because that's what's of primary interest to me, I'll have to watch with sub-titles. The difficulty however is trying to follow the action and at the same time read. There are times, there could be just one sub-title for a whole minute of dialog, makes me doubt the veracity of some of these sub-titles.

I always watch English movies with English subtitles.

There is always parts I don't understand, when characters are speaking fast, with an accent or just not very clearly.

I set the subtitles in English rather than in my native language because I can perfectly read English, and it disturbs me when the subtitles doesn't match the audio exactly.

I used to watch movies with English subtitles. Now, I don't anymore because I have found that I cannot focus on the movie if I turn on the subtitles. I would just keep staring at the subtitle until I fully understand what the movie is about. I understand well enough to watch any movie without subtitles, which is a good thing.

Growing up in Portugal, where there was never a dubbing industry like in other countries (only children's television and movies were dubbed, for obvious reasons), I feel very natural watching a movie with subtitles. I believe watching subtitled image in my formative years was one of the reasons my English became good. Nowdays I can do without subtiles for the languages I understand, but still prefer them when dealing with languages I don't, rather than going for dubbed versions. The thing is, I don't think I get any improvement in those languages from doing so as I did when I was younger with English.

I am an English speaker and I watch British movies (in English) with subtitles often times since I cannot understand the words as pronounced or they are words I am not familiar with.  I also watch TV and news with the captioning, since I have learned not to let it bother my enjoyment.  Captioning is often mispelled or wrong words and I mention that for non native English speakers.

I don't use subtitles to watch movies if they are in English. Sometimes maybe when the volume is too low or if the accent is totally beyond me. I'd suggest not using subtitles because then you won't be able to listen and understand the conversations and just be left 'reading' the movie. I use subtitles only for Japanese anime or Korean dramas.

Mostly with subtitles. I understand everything they say with the subtitles, but watching without subtitles is very hard for me. I think the background sounds in the movies play big role in this, since the speaking isn't that clear always and it's hard for me to understand what they are trying to say.