Linguaholic

Your favourite book in English?

rebel

I have quite a few to be honest. Probably the one that interested me the most recently was London's White Fang. I've read the book on my native language when I was little, but it's nothing compared to the English version, or at least I don't remember it to be. With the English version everything is very different and even some parts of the content seem to be better.

• 3 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Are you wondering about others' favorite book in UK English or American English? No matter the version, the Harry Potter series is considered the best for me and my family. Though I really do enjoy Agatha Christie's novels that are in English; despite the slight French phrases. They are definitely a good read. :)

My favorite book in English is J.D. Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye." I have loved it ever since I was in high school and read it in 2000. It has been 13 years since I first read it and it still resonates with me even as an adult.

There are so many that it is hard to pick.  Can I pick a series? 

Harry Turtledove's "Darkness" series (Into the Darkness, etc).  Its WW2 with magic and giant dinosaurs instead of tanks and dragons instead of airplanes.  It gives you some shocking realizations about people.  Anything by Turtledove is an amazing alternative history writer, all of his stuff is good.  Not sure how it would be for a ESL person, however.

I read The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald again after a long time, and once again the last chapter moved me with its poignant reality. His language is poetic in its simplicity and it makes the tragedy of present human lives almost weep in its relentless search for an elusive hope. Some say it's an overrated novel, but I couldn't disagree more.

Another novel I read that shook me with its stark reality was Golding's "Lord of the Flies". The intrinsic darkness of the human heart is something we choose to be oblivious to. But Golding's work forces you to face it without a shred of protection to shield you from the truth. 

Its really tough to pick one!  Its the first book that I read (in junior high) that really impacted me in a powerful way.  My older brother gave it to me on the sly and I was told to not let my parents see me reading it.  That alone made it an exciting book!

• 1 month later...

My favorite English book is one that I have read a long time ago, To kill Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It has alot of life's lessons. Including, how peolpe can perceive others and the level at which injustice can prevail in our society.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard a lot of controversy about it, but my favourite English book is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I'm not really interested in politics so I didn't really see it through that filter but rather a more personal one about the meaning of earning success.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not easy to pick a favourite, but it's likely between two Kurt Vonnegut books: Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse Five. I've probably read both at least four times.

This may be a boring choice, but I have to list Orwell's 1984 as one of my all-time favourite novels, as well. It really is a masterpiece.

I love The Shack by William Young. It's about a man who is seeking for his missing daughter, who is actually rumored to be dead.

He juggles with his religion because majority of the book is his conversation with God. He expresses his feelings and it got out my emotions as well, making me cry near the end of the book.

• 2 weeks later...

I am normally more focused on non-ficition novels; but my favourite book is the 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry. It's incredible; giving you an appreciation for the little things. I highly suggest it to anyone, and any age whom can read it. 

My favorite fiction will be "Door to December" by Dean Koontz. I have read it 4 or 5 times already. Currently I am reading 'The Stand' by Stephen King. I think this one will be my new favorite.

My favorite book in English is the English version of Anne Frank's diary.  So far that's my favorite book, and I actually read it in English and never in Spanish.  I read it last year, once I started I just couldn't stop! I love that book because even tho the occurrences depicted in the book are not very relevant right now (not exactly, at least), the wide spectrum of emotions portrayed in the book is and will always will! 

All those emotions are so universal!  Whenever I'm having a bad time or I'm feeling down I start to remember how Anne kept her hope alive until the end. Then I realize what I'm going thru is bad, but not as bad as Anne's lack of freedom.  If she kept believing things would improve... so will I! 

I also enjoyed reading the Harry Potter series, as well as the Lord of the rings ones :)

• 4 weeks later...

I would highly recommend Milan Kundera's "Unbearable Lightness of Being". It's not at all an easy read, so beware if you're inexperienced, but it's a beautiful and insightful book-- a real modern(ish) classic. Plus, I believe that Kundera himself penned the French translation, so if that's the language you're coming from, then you'd be able to read the two side-by-side!

"Tropic of Cancer" by Henry Miller, and "Hollywood" by Charles Bukowski are the last two that I've read and both are excellent as well.

I don't know about you guys but if you're into self-improvement book, you guys should check out outliers. It's a book that talks about how success is made, not born. It really motivated me to work harder and to situate myself in an environment that helps me work harder. This book is where the whole 10,000 hours of practice quote came from.

• 9 months later...

I also have so many favorites that it is impossible to pick one. When I was a teen someone introduced me to books in the mills and boon series. Later on I started reading Daniel Steel and Sydney Sheldon books and I was hooked. I discovered a store that sold old books at a fair price. I would even have a chance to exchange a book at a small fee once I was done reading it.

• 2 weeks later...

For English classes in High School, I loved "Lord of the Flies"

For my personal reading, anything by George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire series - more commonly known as HBO's "A Game of Thrones") and Michael Moorcock's "Elric Of Melnibone"

It's technically a comic, but my pick would be Watchmen which is a graphic novel. I didn't know of it until I heard about the movie and since I did enjoy the movie a lot I thought I would give the book a try to see how much it differed and I was very pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the book equally since I rarely read books adapted to movies.