Linguaholic

How's your reaction when someone tells you English is not important?

igorrsobral

I might be surprised but I wouldn't bother arguing with the person. I won't explain either on the importance of English in this world. Not because I'm arrogant or I think that I'm smarter, it's just that I know that there is no use in explaining because if the person thinks like that, his/her mind is already set.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'd pity such a person because they don't know what they're missing. Some of best movies are Hollywood produced. . .so they don't get to enjoy these movies without the aid of sub-titles which take the fun out of watching a movie.

Most people consider English as their second language. I don't know what is the reason why someone can easily say that English is not important. I been going from one place to another and by doing so I can say that not all those countries I been through are english speaking countries but my travel is easier because of english. It connects me with other person. It helps me to understand and learn more about other people, their cultures and more. I feel that it is important to learn this language.

I might be surprised but I wouldn't bother arguing with the person. I won't explain either on the importance of English in this world. Not because I'm arrogant or I think that I'm smarter, it's just that I know that there is no use in explaining because if the person thinks like that, his/her mind is already set.

I agree completely, and I'd probably just react the same way. Personally, I think the merits of knowing English is pretty obvious, and one who doesn't see it more likely just chooses not to see it, so there wouldn't be much cause to put effort into convincing him or her. It's not really that I consider it his or her loss, but I just would accept that we are all different and have different priorities, as I also am sure that I have a lot of my own biases as well.

My students in Taiwan didn't really care about learning English. I tried telling them that there's a whole world of movies, TV shows, and books that would open up to them if they were to study harder. That rarely worked.