Linguaholic

Which language do you think is easier, French or Spanish?

IssamH

Hi,

Right now I'm studying French, but I love Spanish too. The thing is, I think it will take me a long time to master French, and I'm afraid that it will be too late to start learning Spanish.

I keep hearing that Spanish is very easy, but it seems very difficult to me. Plus, I don't think it will be a good idea to start learning two languages at the same time. Do you?

I need your advice. Should I learn both languages at the same time? or should I just keep learning French, and save Spanish for later?

Thanks,

Issam

Unless you're 90 years old right now, I'm pretty sure you still have time to master both French and Spanish :P But if you ask me, Spanish is easier. Or rather, French is harder - its pronunciation is pretty crazy and their grammar can be weird sometimes.

That being said, I wouldn't abandon French now if I were you - I'm sure you can learn both of those languages  :wink: Obviously, it's just my opinion and suggestion, though.

Spanish, only by virtue of not having ridiculous pronunciation.  That being said, they are both romance languages and relatively easy to learn for a native English speaker.

I learned French when I was in high school, which was the hardest languages I have ever learned. I ended up dropped the class after 3 months because I couldn't do it. I think Spanish is easier to learn because it's similar to English, which most words are easier to pronounce.

I like the sound of French better, but I find Spanish much easier. The grammar, spelling and verbs are all more regular. Pronunciation, with one or two exceptions, is MUCH easier.

I would examine why you want to learn each language and prioritize based on that. Do you have French speaking friends? A job that requires French? Do you want to travel to Spain? Are you tired of going to Taco Bell and not realizing that you're literally ordering a "little fat girl" combo meal?

Once you've got a good foundation in one, then you can start on the other.

During my college days we had a "Spanish" subject and it is included in our education curriculum because in the past our country was being colonized by the Spaniards. So it is been passed on up to this generation. But it is only the basic and simple words and phrases. So since I had a little background of the language I may say for me it is easier than French. But maybe if I will be given the opportunity to learn French that is the time I can make a comparison of which is easier between the two of them.

Thank you for your responses, guys. I really appreciate it.

I'm Moroccan, so I'm used to hearing French a lot. While I agree about the Grammar, the pronunciation is not a huge problem for me, I can pronounce many words almost perfectly. it is the grammar and memorizing the vocabulary that's giving me trouble.

I think I'll just stick with French for the moment, it is the most important, if I want to get a job around here.

Thanks again!

I'll go with Spanish on this one too. While grammatically both languages are not that different, french has an extra boundary, it's pronunciation. Both languages are an awesome choice though. If you plan on learning a new language, pick the one you like the most.

I think Spanish is easier. A lot of the Spanish words are probably still somewhat discernable even when spoken with a very foreign accent, but I think that's not as applicable to French words. A lot of them tend to sound like different things to me when spoken with even minor mispronunciations.