Linguaholic

What are your thoughts on google translate?

I don't like Google Translate.

If you're translating just one word, then it's fine, but if you're translating a whole paragraph, or something like that, it's terrible. A lot of the words, won't even be the correct translation.

I don't like Google Translate.

If you're translating just one word, then it's fine, but if you're translating a whole paragraph, or something like that, it's terrible. A lot of the words, won't even be the correct translation.

Yeah I agree. If it's for 1 word it's fairly accurate, though even then I see often words who aren't actually translated properly in my language, but they are close, so you can get an idea.

However if you try to translate a whole sentence it's always really weird. The tenses are always wrong and it sounds like some illiterate robot gave you the translation lol :P

I think it's a pretty useful tool to have, but only if you're an amateur at a given language. Sadly, google translate is not all that accurate. It tends to give off meaningless sentences so I guess it's sentence formation needs a lot more work.

It shouldn't be a tool you should use a lot. Dictionaries always win over translators. However, it's a good tool to use if you want to get an overview of a word or a sentence.

Google Translate is not 100% accurate. Often times the results would be comical translations, especially if one is translating from complex languages. I wouldn't recommend relying on Google Translate in terms of accuracy but it is efficient enough to be able to translate individual words or simple sentences. The site is also helpful when learning new words or translating basic meanings.

However, I give kudos to Google Translate for two benefits it has viz.

i.) Google Translate provides multiple synonyms for a word

and

ii.) Google Translate offers Romanizations or Roman alphabet versions of foreign script such as Chinese, Japanese, Greek etc.

The site is useful for those who can't read foreign writing as the viewers can read the Romanized forms and same time learn the script via Roman alphabet.

Tis' my take on Google Translate.

Regards,

The Antiquarian.

I've been using Google Translate on some occasions since I started translating subtitles. It's pretty good when it comes to simple words. However, put in a sentence or two and the translations effectively become nonsensical.

I typically cross-reference a translation with the translator at Dictionary.com so as to make sure my work is as accurate as possible.

It's helpful when you are at a pinch to find a certain word translation that you can't remember at that moment.  It's been improved a lot in the last years and I think that it translates texts rather well for a computer program :)

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Google Translate is an excellent tool for vocabulary but it lacks proper grammar support. Even simple sentence of 3 words sometimes get mixed up or have to wrong conjugation.

I don't know if there are other translation tools out there that have the ability to comprehend grammar? It would be a great technology and I think a lot of people would use it.

It can also be a great tool in language learning. While I was studying French I found myself looking online for the right conjugation of verbs quite a lot and using a translator that had this ability built-in would mean I didn't have to look in separate places to get the right information.

I am both weary and wary of Google Translate.

I only use it as a last resort and for stand alone words only.

When a word has multiple meanings, it always seems to chose the least appropriate.

Sometimes common meanings are not even listed.

In terms of grammar and sentence structure it is insufficient.

Seriously?

At times, Google Translate needs to be translated in order to be understood.

Google Translate has certainly gotten much better, but it's no replacement for human translation yet. I occasionally use it for a short phrase, but I'll always make sure to check the alternate translations myself to make sure the sentence is using the correct sense of a word and that I'm not saying something ridiculous. I'd never use it for anything longer than a short phrase or simple sentence, though.

I think google translate is very good for what it does. You can access it very fast and most of the time is accurate enough for you to understand the general idea from the text that you asked it to translate. It also has the text-to-speech function which can really come in handy when you have problems with your pronunciation.

Google translate only translates the words of what you typed in. It does not correct the usage, grammar and the multiplicity of meanings of words which are very important for people to understand what you are talking about. You should not use Google translate for lengthy sentences, it is best used to translate only words because you will mess up the meaning when you input sentences let alone paragraphs.

It's probably not always correct because the meaning of a word depends a lot on the context, so it's hard for Google Translate to understand that. I think in the future we will see much improvement in this area. Google Translate is a useful tool, but only when you have at least some understanding of the language you are translating from/to.

It definitely won't be something I will use for any kind of work, no matter how minute or insignificant the work would be. It's something I'll only use for myself when I'm looking up something to satisfy my own curiosity.

Granted, machines are always getting better, and software is always becoming more and more sophisticated. However, language is never 100% logical. I don't think machines will easily be able to overcome that hurdle soon enough.

I think it is a useful tool but shouldn't be depended upon. I wouldn't personally use it to write an essay or translate huge chunks of text, but for individual words or syntaxes that I would need to double check it is a godsend.

Google translate is not that bad. However, I would never use it for directly translating and sending a text or email and it is not advisable to use Google translate for test reference. This is because when this app is used, it translates words how the program understand what is written and not the mood or even the meaning.

I know google translate is used many times in classroom settings and the professor (fluent speaking), knows that they used the translation site. It is not always correct, I am wondering why.

I personally love that facebook now has a translate feature under posts because many of my friends live in foreign lands and speak non english languages sometimes. It is nice to be able to keep up with them.

Do you think google translate is a good online option for translation?

Yes, I think it good, because it allows you to speak to people who  speak  different languages and we understand what they say and we can respond to what they say. 

I find Google Translate can be helpful for single words or short phrases, but I'm always aware that it's better to use a more sophisticated translation program, or a dictionary, and to pay close attention to context. These translation programs work best for languages that I already know quite well, and where I perhaps have forgotten the meaning of a word or a common expression.

It does bother me that so many people think online translation programs are capable of translating whole chunks of text perfectly!

Computer generated translations will always have a flaw in my opinion. They don't get to the gist of what you want to say, but instead give you a literal translation. However, if you do know the language you are speaking and are just having a hard time remembering the words, I agree that Google Translate can be useful for those times. If not, just make sure you have a human translator to help you out.