Linguaholic

How can I improve my reading speed?

What I have learned in Reading class was that keep reading a book for about 30 minutes. Do not take any break during that time, then read as much as you can without stopping. One thing to keep in mind is that don't worry about the vocabularies in which you don't know, which will slow you down if you do. I usually know what the word means by reading the sentence before and after it, that way I have an idea of the approximate meaning of the word. Try to do 30-1, which is read nonstop for 30 minutes, then use 1 minute to check how much have you read. Hope that helps. :) Good luck!

You should try "Breakthrough Rapid Reading" by Peter Kump.

This is one of the best books when it comes to the subject of speed reading. It covers a lot of great techniques that will help you improve your reading speed.

With that being said, it all comes down to practice! You have to practice whatever you've learned. Or you'll never succeed.

In my opinion practice is the best teacher when it comes to reading speed. The more words you know, and the more you get used to them, the less time your brain will need to recognize them and distinguish them as those specific words, therefore you can move on to the next word faster. There are some books especially adapted for language-learners and they have their difficulty level marked on the back. I suggest buying one and then progressing onto the next level, might be a good start.

I am very curious because my reading speed is not that great. I would like to know how I can improve my speed for reading.

You might want to check out this thread for some tips and pointers.  It's been an ongoing topic for several weeks.  Many people have offered suggestions and recommended various speed reading books and methods.  It's worthwhile to check out for additional ideas. :)

http://linguaholic.com/english-language-general-discussion-thread/are-you-a-slow-fast-reader/

I would recommend just reading for fun, at your own pace during your own time, and then reading for the sake of speed. You need distinguish between the two and eventually the two will come together for you. I like to read novels and books for fun, and then I try to speed read the news paper when I am pressed for time on the train. I get through as much as I can and now when I read novels I instinctively read a little bit faster everyday.

I was 13 years old when I couldn't read fast enough as I wanted to, so that's where I focused myself on. I started reading all these books I've read before, not to "read" them again but to speed up my reading. And eventually it worked - it's all about practice, just like with everything else.

Read as much books as you can, this is the best and easiest method. Although, I used a different approach for me. I watch a lot of Hollywood movies and TV series, so what I do is I download English subtitles and read them while watching the movies/series. It's like a challenge, where I think am I going to read it before the subtitle changes or the next sentence is going to be shown. So, this is how I increased my reading speed. You can try it too ;)

If you read a little everyday you will improve your reading speed grammar and imaginations too. When I first started to read book its took me ages to finish the book but over time I got better and better. Its like anything practice make perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Practice makes perfect :) Anything can be improved on once we set our mind to it and exert all our efforts to be good in something. It's not just the reading pace you should be concerned with but as well as your reading comprehension. It becomes wasted when you read fast but then you didn't get the point or topic of what you have just read. :)

Hi, I fully agree I need to read quicker and properly because I tend to skim read when I rush.  For me it is just reading more and more it makes it better and I read faster.  But going to try some of the other ideas I have read here to. :grin:

The saying that goes "practice makes perfect" does apply to everything :wink:. I would recommend alot of practice and keep your focus so that you don't make too much error and then have to keep reading over :smile:.

Do you read books often? I think I learned at a very young age... but then again, I enjoyed reading at a very young age. I was the kid in my family and group of friends that would rather stay inside to read a book than go outside to play. And to this day, I still read books. So I think it's really about how often you read.

I am very curious because my reading speed is not that great. I would like to know how I can improve my speed for reading.

To improve your reading speed you need to read more often. Read lots of books of different kinds, ,magazines, news papers any and everything. The best time to read is in the night when it is quiet, you will find a peace of mind then. regularly pronouncing your words is also a form of speeding up your reading. People at times tend to let pride take the better of them, you can ask for help from other fluent

readers.

• 4 years later...