Linguaholic

How do you study Latin?

rgaz83

I'm currently learning Latin in school, and it can be harder than you think.

Everything is pretty much straight forward but that in itself can be a problem sometimes. You have a lot of words for example that are only different by one letter and then they're in a completely different time, or change meaning.

We don't get any vocabulary questions any more any way, every test where we need to translate a lot of words we simply get a dictionary. The focus is more on grammar and the culture of the Romans.

You have a lot of words for example that are only different by one letter and then they're in a completely different time, or change meaning.

I think that's the same for a lot of languages, though. Think of ship, sip, rip, tip, lip, etc.

We don't get any vocabulary questions any more any way, every test where we need to translate a lot of words we simply get a dictionary. The focus is more on grammar and the culture of the Romans.

That sounds kind of fun, actually. At least, I'd love to be able to know enough Latin to be able to subsist with only a dictionary for assistance.

Yeah, Latin can be a hassle. When I was studying it I couldn't get my mind around all the possible combinations - it was more like learning math formulas than grammar. Eventually I had to take special training, and the only way I could pass my exams was through a lot of practice exercises. I don't think it's a very easy language to learn on one's own, unless there is a lot of time devoted to it.

It sounds easy at first but, man, can you get easily lost in translation. Grammar is a hassle, not to mention phrasing. I studied Latin 3 years, in highscool and in the beginning it was indeed quite easy. But when we started diving into translating passages from old books I realized that I will never comprehend entirely the language. It's a dead language, it has been for a long time so after highschool I focused on other languages.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a multitude of sources, I have the teach yourself series but I found that to be too grammar intensive, and very light on vocabulary. I have the 'Cambridge Latin Course' which I've found to be very helpful, it also does a great deal of explaining ancient roman culture at the time as well.

• 10 months later...

I think that's the same for a lot of languages, though. Think of ship, sip, rip, tip, lip, etc.

That sounds kind of fun, actually. At least, I'd love to be able to know enough Latin to be able to subsist with only a dictionary for assistance.

My God, dictionary is a must! Without it, I'd never be able to get anywhere. Virgil is impossible without a dictionary. So is Ovid. I am happy to be done with him for the time being. The easiest thing, though, is the basic grammar. You never forget the cases and the patterns - but all those exceptions, combinations, expressions, ellipses... now this is when it starts being fun.