Linguaholic

Learning Russian?

russianrocket

Privet! Now I guess this is not the most popular language to study, however I wonder how many are currently learning it?

I was told it was harder to learn than Japanese, but way easier than Chinese for example. Wonder if this is true?

I'm not sure why it'd be harder to learn than Japanese and I don't think I've ever heard that before. Japanese has some strange grammar and THREE separate writing systems. Russian grammar, as I understand it, tends to be complicated but not entirely different than (other) European languages.

Granted, I have heard that it is difficult to learn, but I'm not sure that it's more difficult than Japanese. At least Russian has some familiar words for a westerner while Japanese is going to be almost entirely foreign except for loan/borrowed words.

I was born in Belarus. I lived there for 12 years, not I live in Ireland I don't have anyone to talk to so I lost my native language. I am hoping to pick it up again with a bit of help.

Now I might be wrong but I have heard there are over 100000 Russian expats in Dublin alone, or perhaps in whole Ireland? Not sure where I heard that either, but even if half-true, maybe you can find someone to talk to :)

• 2 weeks later...

I studied Russian language in college (1964-1968) for three years and Russian Literature for one year. I would like to revive my skills so that I can re-read some of my favorites such as "The Nose" and "A Hero of Our Tme" in the correct l would lke to re-read some of mu favorites such as "The Nose" and "The Station Master" and "A Hero of Our Tme" in the correct language.

• 1 month later...

Hello Thomas Pendrake,

I noticed that you mentioned having found some books in Russian and was wondering if you'd be able to find something interesting for you to read in this on-line Russian library:

http://lib.rus.ec

Try it, you'll see lots and lots of books there from classical masterpieces to modern creations.

Reading is surely the best way to keep the language alive in one's head.

Good luck!

Hello Thomas Pendrake,

I noticed that you mentioned having found some books in Russian and was wondering if you'd be able to find something interesting for you to read in this on-line Russian library:

http://lib.rus.ec

Try it, you'll see lots and lots of books there from classical masterpieces to modern creations.

Reading is surely the best way to keep the language alive in one's head.

Good luck!

Russian Pianist? I guess there a few of those! Thank you for the link. I have been taught that there are three great literatures in known human history, and Russian is one of them. English and Greco-Roman are the other two.

Hi Thomas Pendrake, Здравствуйте!

It is very kind of you to say so and put Russian literature on the same level with Greeks and Romans and the English :)

What about the French literature? Molier, Racine, Dumas? Were they not amazingly talented writers?

By the way, Russian literature owes a lot to the French one. Alexander Poushkin applied his knowledge of the French language grammar and composition to his own creations written in prose. And his followers could not imagine a different way to write. They would not take a risk of sounding old-fashioned, I believe :) This cannot be said about poetry, though.

Talk to you later!

Счастливо!