Linguaholic

You know/realize you are a language nerd, when......

deen the breen

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Definitely when you start to dream in the foreign languages that you are learning.

That's a major milestone and the point of no return!

When you start thinking in a foreign language that's when you are truly fluent with it. Coming from a Polish background, I found myself pretty much exclusively thinking in English these days because it's so much more relevant to what's happening around me . The only time I speak Polish would be to family members and I see them fairly rarely, so it's come to the point where thinking and speaking in Polish is just a lot of effort.

You know/realize you are a language nerd, when......

You can't find a vocabulary word in the language you are speaking so your mind inserts one from a different language you speak (other than your native language).

...when you forget a word/ phrase in your mother tongue, and have to resort to waving your arms around like a lunatic, saying it in every other language you know until you finally work it out or someone tries to guess what you're saying....  :P

Has happened too many times for my liking.. People must think I'm crazy.

I do agree with those that said about thinking and dreaming in the language you're learning; when it comes that naturally to you that you can't help yourself,  :beaten:you know you've cracked it, so to speak. :)

...You are reading a novel in your native language and mentally translating it to the language you are studying.  You keep finding sentences and paragraphs that you think might sound better and/or capture a deeper nuance if they had been written in that other language. 

I have enjoyed reading the responses here and I echo what others have said about dreaming in the new language.  That has happened to me, too.  I would wake up feeling gratified even if it wasn't a particularly good dream.  I'd think to myself, well, at least I got some practice using the new language! 

I was shopping the other day at a 7-11 in Malaysia and was asking the guy at the counter for some mosquito coils. I was stumped because I totally forgot the Malay word for "mosquito coil"! That's the traditional incense-like repellent that we burn in Southeast Asia in the evenings to wad off mosquitoes.

I could only remember "katori senko" the Japanese word! Not that the Malay-speaking checkout counter guy would  understand what in the world I meant!. Finally after about five minutes of trying to explain what I meant I finally remembered the word!

You can't find a vocabulary word in the language you are speaking so your mind inserts one from a different language you speak (other than your native language).

Yes! Very annoying as I don't seem to be able to think any further and find the proper word, expression or a way to describe it in the language I need at the moment. My mind goes 'but I told you what it is! Shutdown bzzzzzz'. Thank for doing that during oral exams German, Brain!

I realize it while correcting friends' grammar/word choice. Or being overly entousiastic about an expression or fun fact in/about another language: 'did you know English hasn't got a word for... ' or 'in Finnish, there are x ways of saying this or that word!'

setting the main language of your mobile phone to Chinese and then you need half an hour to switch it back to English xD :laugh:

hope you got some funny stories 2.

You dream of striking a conversation with native-English speakers and beating them to it. I know I can do it :)

I knew I was a language nerd after surviving the 2 semesters in college when I would need to alternate between 5 different languages every day. Vietnamese was spoken at home and English pretty much anywhere else except in my language classes. I was majoring in Spanish Education and decided to take up Italian and French during my last two semesters of undergrad. Talk about getting things mixed up! But I loved it!!!