Linguaholic

Is it worth learning multiple languages

lovemwaf

Learning new languages is both fun and useful.I honestly can't think of any down sides to learning lots of languages. I'm hoping to learn Japanese next actually. I feel like with learning new languages you also get a new found appreciation for the culture too and that's always good.

One very best thing with the languages that you've learned is that you can put them in your resume and have those who's gonna look at it impressed. Only for a practical reason. But really, the core benefit of learning a language is that you are able to communicate to people of other nation, to communicate with spark, with closeness. With language, you are not only communicating with them through words and words, but also through their culture as language represents culture and not just words.

I feel like you have to have a crazy good work ethic to learn multiple languages. Undertaking that sort of project is YEARS worth of dedication. Heck, I think really understanding one language takes a long time to truly process and understand.

As far the benefits go, being bilingual or multilingual can only be a tremendous benefit in the workplace for virtually any job. Especially with the world becoming a global economy, having someone on staff who can speak multiple languages is a huge benefit for that business.

If you have a specific language you are learning for a specific purpose, then I would suggest focusing all of your energy into this, but if you are doing both for leisure or other non essential and urgent reasons then its perfectly reasonable to learn 2 languages, or even more, simultaneously.

Only you can decide whether or not learning another language is right for you. I think I can say this: if your heart isn't in it then you won't successfully learn the language. I've known people who've taken eight years of Spanish, gotten good grades in all those classes, and still know next to nothing because they just don't care about learning another language. Unless it's extremely important career-wise I think the only people who stick with it long enough are those that find studying the language enjoyable in and of itself. A lot of people really like the idea of knowing another language but hate the actual act of studying it.

So ultimately, learning a language is a ton of hard work and if you have to ask whether or not it's worth then it probably isn't. Find something else productive to do that's more your style!

Do you see a point in learning a lot of languages. I think that it may at times be useful, but overall it does not really add a lot in terms of life value to me.

It's not the most important thing but it's quite an enriching experience. Learning a new language makes you learn not just the words but also the culture. For example, when you learn Filipino, you learn that the word "po" is placed in every sentence when talking to someone older. By learning that, you sort of learn how much respect for elders is valued in the Philippines. So for me it's a pretty good life experience even if it's not essential.