Linguaholic

Is it worth learning multiple languages

lovemwaf

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think it depend largely upon people's motivation to learn and their interest in specific languages.  Some people have a passion for language and linguistics and the joy and pleasure is in the learning process and in becoming proficient in various languages.

Motivation could also be very specific to life circumstances such as a desire to travel or live in a part of the world where the language is spoken.  Or it could be for business purposes, to help one's career and/or to communicate with others in that language who may possibly be in other countries.

Obviously if a person does not have a particular passion, enthusiasm or motivation to learn languages it would be a time consuming and laborious process and probably eventually that person will give up the effort. 

In my own experience I did have an interest in the two languages I studied in high school and college -- Spanish and, to a lesser extent German -- and I was enthusiastic  I still have an interest in further language study with those and possibly other languages.  But it does have to start -- for me at least -- with a strong interest and passion. 

I believe that learning multiple languages is always worth from a cultural standpoint.

But from a practical approach, they are useful as long as:

1. You really enjoy the learning and is useful to you understanding the matching culture.

2. You are in touch with people who speak the different languages

3. You need to make business with people speaking those languages.

Now if you learn them just because, to show off how many you can learn but with no real purpose for it, then it's not worth the effort.

I mean personally, I don't see why I would ever have to learn a lot of languages. Although for some people they have reasons to why it would be important for them to learn multiple languages. There are benefits to learning multiple languages though.

For me learning new languages is very helpful. Working in a foreign country, I can communicate with different people. It makes my work easier and effectively. I also select learning the language that i think ca be useful for me, not just any language that I know I won't be really using in the future.So for me, learning multiple languages is really worth it.

If you absolutely hate learning and studying, then it's probably not worth learning multiple languages for you. But even if you have nobody to speak it to right now, learning another language also helps increase your knowledge of your own language. So it's not completely worthless. And how much use you get out of it depends upon what language you're targeting.

It depends on a lot of factors. If for example you live in a place where English is spoken. You work there and don't intend to ever go abroad either on vacation or business then it would pointless to learn a new language. However, if your line of work would require interaction with people who're not native speakers then you should try to learn the language your clients or the people you'll meet speak. That in my opinion would be the only advantage of learning multiple languages.

It depends on where do you live and the need to learn multiple languages is necessary. I think two languages will be enough if you only live in the state where English is the main language. It's good to learn another language either for fun or business purpose. The purpose of learning a new language will help you to be able to communicate with people who will speak the language.

I think in the present world you should be able to communicate in at least two languages - English and your native language. Beyond that its just a matter of where you live, what you do and if learning a new language will be able to somehow help you in the future. I think beyond the two I mentioned, it would be wise to be able to communicate in one more language.

Being from a country that has so many national and foreign languages , learning them is an advantage to oneself. There are provinces that would require you to speak their local language for you to get a job consideration. Foreign languages are also worth learning for quite a number of purposes. :smile:

• 6 months later...

The languages I've been learning so far are all hobbies and therefore two plus my original two languages would be enough for me. However, there are those who have need of knowing several languages and so it would be well worth knowing multiple languages.

I think it is always worth learning new things and gaining new knowledge. That being said, I think it is definitely worth learning multiple languages if you are aiming for a job an interpreter. I can see where it would especially be handy in politics where knowing multiple languages would definitely be an asset.

Also, if one tends to travel a lot, whether for pleasure or business, it does help to know the language(s) of the place(s) you travel to.

It really depends on if you ever plan on doing anything with those languages.

For example, if you were to move to a different country, or even if you just wanted to visit a different country - for vacation or something, for example - then learning a new language proves to be invaluable.

And that's just one of the many examples of why a new language could be extremely useful.

It can certainly be a great idea to learn, and know, multiple languages. They will look better on your CV for employers, and it will open you up to more opportunities, especially on the Internet to work on several websites that require different languages and are more suited to those languages.

I think that it is invaluable to learn multiple languages other then your mother tongue. You are opened up to an even greater amount of opportunities and possibilities if you're able to communicate in other languages. And, as others have said, it'll always look good on a resume for potential employers.

As well, I think learning languages also helps you to become more knowledgeable about the different peoples, cultures, and ideologies which make up our world. I know that learning French has certainly made me appreciate the French culture much more and, living in a bilingual country, has allowed me to pursue job opportunities in both French and English.

I think that it is invaluable to learn multiple languages other then your mother tongue. You are opened up to an even greater amount of opportunities and possibilities if you're able to communicate in other languages. And, as others have said, it'll always look good on a resume for potential employers.

As well, I think learning languages also helps you to become more knowledgeable about the different peoples, cultures, and ideologies which make up our world. I know that learning French has certainly made me appreciate the French culture much more and, living in a bilingual country, has allowed me to pursue job opportunities in both French and English.

Very well said, Canadien! I completely feel the same about studying (new) languages. It really opens you up a completely new world, or as Frank Smith would put it: ❝One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way.❞ Or another nice quote about language learning says: ❝To have another language is to possess a second soul.❞

I agree that knowing multiple languages is valuable, but at the same time we need to be lucky to put them to use at our benefit at a professional level. More and more people have realized how useful languages are and there is more offer than demand currently.

My family is mix so that was my main reason to learn multiple languages. I found it to be very helpful especially when all my family members are together.

If not because of that reason then I wouldn't know if I should bother learning another languages at all in the past.

I like it that I can speak multiple languages though. It is very helpful especially when I'm traveling abroad.

well it all depends on the person. if you're learning multiple languages for your job, then clearly a lot is riding on that. for me its just for fun and trying something new. i also have a wonderful friend from venezuela who i would love to be able to communicate with.

I think it would be useful to learn different languages and is nice to try and use them whilst away rather than speaking to the people in English which probably isn't there first language. It's sad that most people speak English now even in foreign countries as it means people don't have to bother about learning new languages which is a shame as I think it is nice to try and speak to people in there own language rather than having them learn our language of English without us making any effort to learn the other language.

I think it is very valuable knowledge to know and practice at least one foreign language, possibly even two. The language choices should be ones that you can regularly or professionally use. Or ones you can tie into your hobby, for example if you watch Japanese anime, then you can actively use Japanese language to watch those even without subtitles.

I think it's worth knowing at least 2 languages, your native tongue and another foreign language.

Then depending on your job/where you want to go in life, it might be wise to learn even more languages.

I'd say it's really worth it if you have a real passion for the languages you want to learn... I'd never try to learn a set of new languages I'm not even passionate about.  Back when I was a teen I really wanted to learn Norwegian, Swedish, finish, danish, old Norse and Icelandic!  I wanted to do that because I was in love with those countries and their culture... I loved Norse mythology and everything that had something to do with those countries.

So... if you are really passionate about learning languages, then yes... learning multiple languages is definitely worth it :)