Linguaholic

Livros Portugueses intressantes. // Interesting Portuguese books.

Ricardo187

Boas pessoal. Na vossa opinião, quais são os melhores livros de escritores Portugueses que ja leram?

Hey there everybody. In your opinion, what are the best Portuguese books that you've read?

My favorite Portuguese read was actually a translation and it was the Principezinho from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, amazing little book. Reading is actually great to improve our language skills, just find a topic we enjoy and there we go.

My favorite Portuguese read was actually a translation and it was the Principezinho from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, amazing little book. Reading is actually great to improve our language skills, just find a topic we enjoy and there we go.

Oh my god, really? I -love- that book. I did read it during my school times as I was actually told to do it by the teacher and we had to write a resume, etcetera and honestly, it's an amazing story and an amazing book to read overall. Not bored at all. I also enjoyed "Ulisses" by Maria Alberta Menéres and huh, other two books I cannot remember the name.

One is about a man that gets lost and tells everybody in the island that his name is "no-one". The other is about a man that his boat sinks/gets stuck in an island and him and his dog get to meet a tribe guy and call him friday. Really amazing books, I wish I could remember their names.

Sorry I can't help with that, I'm not much of a reader. Yep, everyone I know loves the Principezinho, it's an amazing simple story.

My friend Ricardo, just noticed you misspelled "interessantes" in the thread title, maybe you're still able to correct it?  :tongue:

• 3 months later...

One of my favorite brazilian authors is Érico Veríssimo. If you're interested, check out "Ana Terra" and the sequel "Um Certo Capitão Rodrigo". They're part of a bigger collection (O Tempo E o Vento), but if you don't want to read it all, those two make sense without the rest. They're about this family in Southern Brazil, the hardships they go through while trying to make a living in a solitary environment devastated by war. It's amazing how he transitions from historical facts to fiction.

If you're looking for something not so dramatic, go for "Incidente em Antares". It's the story of how the dead come back to haunt a small town after the gravedigger strike prevented them from being buried. It's a very easy, fun read.

Does anyone have any books for beginners to Portuguese. I have literally just started learning and I'm looking for new and interesting ways to learn. I've not thought of buying a book before but this thread has got me thinking I should look into it now!

Does anyone think I should maybe just buy a children's book to start off with?

Does anyone have any books for beginners to Portuguese. I have literally just started learning and I'm looking for new and interesting ways to learn. I've not thought of buying a book before but this thread has got me thinking I should look into it now!

Does anyone think I should maybe just buy a children's book to start off with?

I have some suggestions.

- Ou Isto ou Aquilo by Cecília Meireles. Cute books with poems, tongue-twisters, lullabies. Great way to start easy on some of the languages intricacies.

- O Menino Maluquinho by Ziraldo. Ziraldo is a household name in the Brazilian children literature, and this is his most famous work. Very lovely story about a quirky boy and his adventures.

- O Mistério de Feiurinha by Pedro Bandeira. I forgot how many times I've read this book. A twist on fairy tales, told in a very distinctive way.

If you want more suggestions, just ask, I'm have plenty more!

• 2 weeks later...

Learning with children's books is a great option because they language is very simple and the structure too. You can browse the net for very simple texts, they will help you a lot.

• 3 months later...

I like Machado de Assis, he was an terrific writer. I loved the "Trilogia Realista": "Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas", "Dom Casmurro" and "Quincas Borba" are excellent books. "Memórias Póstuma de Brás Cubas" was the kick start of Realism in Brazil.

I enjoy the poetry of Carlos Drummond de Andrade and Mario Quintana too.

But if you want children's books, I would recommend you "Sítio do Picapau Amarelo" written by Monteiro Lobato, along with "Coleção Vagalume", written by various authors.

• 4 weeks later...

- O Menino Maluquinho by Ziraldo. Ziraldo is a household name in the Brazilian children literature, and this is his most famous work. Very lovely story about a quirky boy and his adventures.

You guys should definitely take this one... This book is just awesome!

I'll share "Capitães da Areia" by Jorge Amado. Hands down, the best novel I ever read!

It's a shame the movie was a bit disappointing...

• 1 month later...

Mais uma recomendação para vocês.

Qualquer livro do Paulo Coelho, no Brasil não dão valor aos livros dele, mas é uma ótima leitura.

E uma dica, eu melhorei meu inglês lendo Harry Potter em inglês. Eu não tinha conhecimento suficiente na lingua naquela época para ler, mas  peguei um dicionário e fiquei consultando até tomar jeito e gravar a palavra.

Bons estudos :)

Os clássicos da literatura portuguesa são sempre uma boa opção. Vou deixar aqui mais alguns (não incluí Os Maias porque já foi referido):

• Viagens na Minha Terra - Almeida Garrett
  • Amor de Perdição - Camilo Castelo Branco
  • Memorial do Convento - José Saramago

Desfrutem  :wink: