Linguaholic

Hoax and its usage

rebel

So I've been thinking. Is "hoax" a good word to use in an official/academical text? If not, why and if yes, also why. What could be a good synonym? I'm really having a hard-time distinguishing whether or not words can be used in both official and unofficial texts, so if anybody has got more information regarding that matter I'd be glad to read some materials.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use "hoax" in a formal/official text. I can't think of any words with the exact same meaning as "hoax"; it's a very specific word and I don't think there are any other words that convey its meaning more effectively. So if I were you, I'd go ahead and use it! :)

Yes.  I agree.  The word "hoax" is not slang or informal so it would not be inappropriate to use in an official or academic text.  "Hoax" is defined as a deception.  It can be cruel or malicious or it can be humorous or a joke.  As such it's very descriptive and definitive.  I would go ahead and use it when and where the context calls for it. 

Consider the dictionary meaning of the word: Something intended to deceive or defraud.  That seems like a perfect word to use under certain circumstances.  It does tend to have a negative connotation, except when used militarily, when it has connotations based on whether your friends or enemies are using it.

Hoax is not slang, in fact I remember hearing it from formal speeches to news reports. If you don't feel comfortable using it, or you want to learn new words, you can use something else like humorous, malicious deception, or prank. It comes down to what you prefer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I can't think of any reason why the word "hoax" should be considered an informal word. It is a formal word which gets used quite often during informal conversations and so I can see why one may have mistakenly thought it to be a slang word.

Yes, hoax is perfectly ok to use in formal text or speech, even if you use it in informal conversations, it still sounds ok, not to deep or formal for casual use. I actually hear it more when someone refers to a false story.