Linguaholic

Good way to learn Spanish?

nicky

Hi everyone! I am a Dutchman, but I would really like to learn Spanish. Does anyone on this forum know a good way to learn it? Any good courses or apps? Let me know if you know one! I'm really looking forward to learn this amazing new language.

If you check this section of the forum, there are already several good ways to learn mentioned in their own threads.  :wink:

Duolingo is one good app, but there are a ton of others out there depending on what's going to work for you.  :grin:

• 3 months later...

My boyfriend is using an app that he found in his Google PlayStore on his smart phone called 'babbel' where he has found a German learning app and an Italian, maybe there is a Spanish one as well :smile:

• 2 months later...

I would say for verbs and functional use, Michel Thomas' audiobooks are worth trying.

For vocabulary, go for duolingo or memrise (both have apps available).

• 2 weeks later...

Find a way to interact with a native Spanish speaker/teacher. Books and online tutorials can give you a decent base of knowledge and understanding of the language, but it's sort of learning a different form of language of Spanish. Sort of the same way that English is taught differently, but actually spoken in an entirely different way.

Also, a neat trick is to read through and find some children's books. Very good way to pick some easy words and phrases.

Watching TV in Spanish certainly helps. My brother and sister watch a lot of Korean game shows and dramas and they enjoy it. They actually are a lot more comfortable with the language and learn new words each time.

There a Spanish learning video series that is in the form of a Soap opera it is call Destinos. If  you do an online search you can find this show. There is also a text book to go along with the series. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just the same as with any other language I suppose. Try to follow the structure of TEOFL exams. What I mean is, leave some time for the 4 basic components- writing, speaking, listening, reading + grammar and vocabulary.

Try to listen to spanish movies with subtitles, and later when you have partial understanding- radio etc. Also songs. Youtube videos. You won't have a problem with reading, I'm sure there are a lot of news and magazine webpages in spanish.

For writing once you have a grip on some grammar and words, give yourself a topic and write a paragraph about it. Or, if you know anyone who knows spanish, write them an email in it.

For programs, I'm all for Duolingo, they are nice and easy to use.

Also, for dictionary, spanishdict.com- and they also have games, flashcards and other things. Nice place for small exercises.

And, today I found a site where you can find audio(radio or something online) in language of your choice and there are many. I was in fact searching for spanish and they had 7-8 options, so you can check it out for the listening component.

• 1 month later...

I have been casually trying to learn Spanish, and find that Pimsleur is a great language-learning program. It doesn't necessarily teach grammar, but you learn words and phrases very quickly because almost immediately you start "interacting" with the audio. It also uses graduated memory recall, which has been proven very effective in remembering vocabulary. Don't waste your money on Rosetta Stone.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A really good way to learn Spanish is to use the Language Immersion extension for Google Chrome. It allows you to choose one of its supported languages (Spanish is one of them) and a level of difficulty. It then translates words and phrases on webpages you visit to the language, integrating them into the English sentences and paragraphs.

You can try out this channel I use on YouTube called, let's learn Spanish. I have gotten a lot from it because they are approaching it from a more analytical angle. The only drawback is that they relate it mostly to English, so it might not be too useful to you if you aren't fluent in English to begin with. Still, I think it's a very unique approach and is worth looking into, even if it just serves as a complement to the other methods already mentioned here.

I recommend keeping two notebooks: one for vocabulary and another for verb conjugations.

The vocabulary should come easily for the most part since there are so many cognates as most European languages have with each other.

The verb conjugations always get me. I think just start with the present, future, and preterite tenses. And then start will regular verbs and memorize the pattern of conjugation. After that, move on to irregular verbs.

And of course, practice, practice, practice!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using Duolingo to learn Spanish. It's fun and keeps you on track by letting you earn points from completing lessons and practicing daily. There is a website and mobile app, and both have clean and easy to use interfaces. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I am a Dutchman, but I would really like to learn Spanish. Does anyone on this forum know a good way to learn it? Any good courses or apps? Let me know if you know one! I'm really looking forward to learn this amazing new language.

It's so nice to meet a dutch person trying to learn my language!  If you need a language partner let me know, I'm currently trying to learn Spanish and wouldn't mind to get a language buddy. If you need someone to practice your Spanish language with, then let me know.  I'm looking to do the same with dutch.

As for your question... join Duolingo!  That site is just amazing!!

If you're starting from the basics, I would recommend Duolingo, really simple and easy, and they make it like a game experience, giving you points and rewards for your work.

Good luck!

Same here! Duolingo is really worth its weight in gold, it amuses me the site is free and doesn't require you to purchase anything... yet.  I'm using it to learn dutch and I must say I'm really amazed!

There are some pretty good tips here. When I first started learning Spanish, smartphones and apps didn't even exist!

But having barely touched the language in the last decade I really need to apply new, up-to-date strategies to get ahead this time.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree with @ThatJamal and everyone else had really good suggestions too. But the most important thing to do when you learn the basics is to talk to either a native or someone else that is fluent in Spanish. Many people seem to avoid this because they want to be "perfect" at the language before they start talking to natives for fear of messing up, but that is one of the best ways to learn a language. As you're learning the language through applications and books, make sure that you are taking every opportunity to speak with a native. Not only will it reinforce vocabulary and grammar you have learned, but your brain will release a little dopamine after the conversation to give you (theoretically) the motivation to keep on going. Good luck in your journey!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

there are so many different ways you can find in internet to how improve your spanish, apps, etc..!

but one of the best ways is to practice whith a native speaker personal, or online!

Im spanish teacher and my students learn pretty quick practicing with me!

hope this is helpfull for you!

• 4 weeks later...

I personally use Duolingo and Pimsleur. After spending time on them, the next step is to actually practice with a native speaker and watch the Spanish news on cable :) It feels good when I'm able to pick up or understand the news or converse with a native speaker because initially it can be very difficult, especially when they speak at their normal pace.

• 2 weeks later...

By far the fastest way to learn any language is through immersion.

You can either do this by going to a Spanish speaking country and making mistakes over and over again by putting yourself out there. By physically immersing yourself in the culture, people, signs, and of course the everyday conversation, you're forced to pick up the language very quickly.

Now, most of us do not have the luxury of picking up our bags and going to a new country to learn a language, due to jobs, lack of funding, the list goes on.

Another alternative is to learn independently through apps, books, podcasts, but this is a very inefficient approach because it doesn't require you to actually speak. And we all know that the best way to learn is by doing.

As all of the top language learning experts recommend, the best and fastest way to learn how to speak a language is speaking with native speakers.

Because most of us, including myself, don't have access to people around us who are native Spanish speakers, I've been using Rype - http://rypeapp.com/

Rype is a platform where you can connect with a native speaking tutor through video chat to practice and receive immediate feedback on your Spanish speaking skills.

They are providing a free 30-minute lesson, and it's a pretty seamless and tutors are great.

Go spanish learners!

• 2 months later...

Since Spanish is such a well-known, widely spoken language, there are tonnes of online resources you can use! Here are just a few:

- Duolingo. I'm currently learning Spanish from Duolingo, and it's a pretty good interactive course. I wouldn't say that you'd be fluent in the language at the end, however it's a great foundation for Spanish learning.

- Babbel. It's a free online course, similar to Duolingo.

- Google other Online Courses. There are plenty of online courses for Spanish if you just have a look online!

- Get an online tutor. There are many people out there who are willing to teach Spanish online, however this may cost money.

- Blogs. There are lots of blogs online which can help you learn Spanish.

- Watch Spanish movies with subtitles initially, and gradually, start watching the films without the subtitles. This may be a slightly slower method, but you do get very good at speaking the language if you watch Spanish movies regularly. I have learnt a language that I can now speak fluently purely from watching movies in the language.

- Read Spanish magazines. This is a great way to get exposure to written Spanish, and if you do this for a while, you may get the hang of some basic verb conjugations quite quickly and some other grammar and vocabulary.

Hope these tips help!