Linguaholic

Good way to learn Spanish?

nicky

Hi there!

I think one of the ways you could learn Spanish is to make friends with people whose native language is Spanish. You could try and search online websites which allow you to interact with people whose mother tongue is Spanish or someone who is fluent with the language. You can also make friends with people near you, who are also good in speaking the said language. You may try scheduling a "Spanish-talk day" where you communicate with them in Spanish for that particular day so they may correct you and also teach you new words and expressions. You may also opt for watching Spanish shows with subtitles in your own language and try to take notes from their conversation, then search those sentences later on.

I hope this helps you because it did help me in learning one of the languages I favor in learning. :)

• 7 months later...

Hey!
I think there are plenty ways of learning Spanish or any other language!
First of all, you should be ambitous (as you have to be for everything else in life) about it. Get started by learning some small and often used phrases, build up your vocabulary (yeah, without words you can't start speaking well!).
I started learning Spanish by myself with a software and Duolingo. It really helped me to get a bit of a feeling for Spanish and Duolingo was perfect for reviewing. I also build up a basic vocabulary knowledge and got to know some grammar. My reading and writing skills improved, but I wasn't able to speak well. And in my opinion, that problem can't be fixed alone. I also didn't "feel" the language as I do now- although I wasnt aware of that back then.

Since I wanted to improve very fast, I chose to go to Madrid to a language school for some weeks. There, I stayed with a host family who spoke Spanish with me, were very patient and recommended beautiful places and things to do. Furthermore, I learned a bunch of new things about Spanish culture and finally started to speak Spanish. Day in, day out I learned many things at Ailola Madrid and went out with other students on great activities! The courses were cheap and efficient.

I should have done this step before struggling alone for two years!

• 1 month later...

Hey.

My approach to learn a language is sheer vocabulary overexposure. For example, any enjoyable movie with an official spanish dub, subtitles and your native official language subtitles. Split the movie into different sequences and put both spanish and dutch subtitles, watch every amusing sequence from that movie as much as you please, Paying utmost attention to every scene and use the dutch and spanish subtitles to help you understand. Also don't stop videoplay to read, repeat it instead and read while watching, repetition is very important to language learning. You can also extract audio to listen it while you are doing something else, and put the script into a txt to read while listen.

There is many ways to take advantages of overexposure and apply the same very approach to any other media source. Fortunately, there are endless spanish media sources out there given how may countries speak spanish and how much media consumes the average spanish speaker. So It's a matter of choice than availability.

Don't rely only in this approach to teach yourself spanish . Months doing this will give you a huge burst of vocabulary, the very backbone of a language, nothing more.  But to polish your way to fluency you need to write and speak it A LOT, and this will be pretty easy as long as you have a couple of thousands of spanish words whistling in your mind.

Therefore is better to focus first in soaking up all the vocabulary you can having fun watching a movie, playing a videogame, listening music, podcast ect. instead of looking for a tutor online.

Enjoy your journey.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2015 at 4:12 AM, The.Distant.Viewer said:

Hi there!

I think one of the ways you could learn Spanish is to make friends with people whose native language is Spanish. You could try and search online websites which allow you to interact with people whose mother tongue is Spanish or someone who is fluent with the language. You can also make friends with people near you, who are also good in speaking the said language. You may try scheduling a "Spanish-talk day" where you communicate with them in Spanish for that particular day so they may correct you and also teach you new words and expressions. You may also opt for watching Spanish shows with subtitles in your own language and try to take notes from their conversation, then search those sentences later on.

I hope this helps you because it did help me in learning one of the languages I favor in learning. :)

Actually tat is how i learnt English when I was 16 years old, nothing like interacting with natives... because there is no bigger motivation and satisfaction than being able to communicate your thoughts to someone you never thought you'd ever talk  to.  I felt so motivated when I started writing to pen pals, and tried to do my best to  help them understand me I never hesitated to make questions either :)  I made a lot mistakes but I learnt from them, that is the key.