Linguaholic

Why Exactly Do You Seek To Learn A Foreign Language.

Lin

I think I started out learning foreign languages because It was a curriculum in school  :bored: However, my mind's imagination has broaden, and I believe I still have a few more countries that I would like to travel to and spend extended time there. It would be good to be able to interact with the people in their native tongue. Why do you learn foreign languages :wink:?

Mostly because I'm curious and aim towards self-improvement. I believe that knowing multiple languages can really make a difference on a later stage of my life. It also expands my point of view and provides me with another perspective to look trough, and that's always something that matters.

I started learning english by mere coincidence, to be honest I have no idea why I started doing it; it just happened.  I guess it was destiny pushing me to do so, and I'm very thankful for that, because if it wasn't for the fact I learn english, there is no way I'd have been able to take adventage of the oportunities I've found; english has been a real helper!

Right now I'm learning dutch because I want to live with the man I love for the rest of my life, and in order to do that, I must learn the language (it's a requirement). I'm not a big fan of dutch or even like the idea of learning it, but I have no choice, this will be the language of my babies too :)

I'm always dream about travelling. I'm learning foreign language so that I can communicate with the people during my travel and have some memorable moments with them, maybe make some friends here and there too  :wink:

I agree. The reason I learn a new language is that I'm able to communicate with other people, let's say when I travel to a foreign country. I would like to make a good impression to those who thought I'm able to speak their native language.

Learning new languages opens up a lot of possibilities for you in terms of travelling. Beyond that it's a matter of curiosity and the belief that learning a particular language will definitely of use at somepoint n your life even you can't quite figure out how.

I see it as a very good hobby to pursue. Not only is it inexpensive to learn, if it even costs anything at all nowadays, but it provides for a very good tool for when you do travel to the designated country of your choice in language or even just meet a person from there in your own country; and best of all, you can even make a living out of it, and seeing as language is a free and unlimited resource, you will never go out of business.

I have a variety of reasons, honestly. The most broad one being that I've just always wanted to...I've always loved the idea of being fluent in multiple languages, as many as possible for me. It's just always been something that appealed to me even from a very young age.

There's also the fact that it's a pretty good job skill in general, and in my profession especially can be a useful thing to have going for you. I also love learning and with learning the finer points of multiple languages, there's always more to do and learn. I think it sort of broadens the imagination and the mind in general...the ways you can think/write/express yourself when you make yourself think it out in multiple languages and how best to express it.

• 6 months later...

Ever since I started doing French and Spanish in high school I started having a strong liking for both languages. I learn as a hobby and had stopped for some time but then my daughter got me into it again. This time I intend to master at least one someday.

Feels like we have a very simlar thread already... But whatever, I will answer the question as best as I can, and if some Moderator on the english board thinks it should be deleted: then so be it.

I started learning english because it was part of the curriculum. I think I started in the third year of school, so when I was... 9 or 10, I suppose.

And after that, I started learning German because it was also part of the curriculum. Or rather, I had an option to choose between French, Spanish and German. And at the time, I was very interested in German classical music (still am, but not as much as back then) aswell as german culture: so naturally I started studying german. I studied german for three years. Still studying english as of today, although I have recently skipped a course and only done the exams (still got an A even though I only did the exams without studying... It was basically just a repetition course from high school anyway. I'm on senior high school now. Next year I will not skip it, and I am plannig to take an extra, advanced class in english in my last year of senior high school. It's not compulsory, but I feel that I am so good at english that I won't have any problem with an extra, advanced class)

Uh... I could answer why I'm studying japanese too, but I feel like I'm not really answering the question OP wanted me to answer  :frozen:

I mostly just do it out of fun and curiosity. I never really had to learn much in school but have decided to study a foreign language on my own. I like getting immersed in a new culture and trying to use my language as basically a new way of thinking. You can also impress others with your knowledge, you never when it will come up. And finally I intend to travel someday so it will definitely be useful then. But most of all I just enjoy the process of trying to learn and slowly improving at a whole new method of communication.

Feels like we have a very simlar thread already... But whatever, I will answer the question as best as I can, and if some Moderator on the english board thinks it should be deleted: then so be it.

I started learning english because it was part of the curriculum. I think I started in the third year of school, so when I was... 9 or 10, I suppose.

And after that, I started learning German because it was also part of the curriculum. Or rather, I had an option to choose between French, Spanish and German. And at the time, I was very interested in German classical music (still am, but not as much as back then) aswell as german culture: so naturally I started studying german. I studied german for three years. Still studying english as of today, although I have recently skipped a course and only done the exams (still got an A even though I only did the exams without studying... It was basically just a repetition course from high school anyway. I'm on senior high school now. Next year I will not skip it, and I am plannig to take an extra, advanced class in english in my last year of senior high school. It's not compulsory, but I feel that I am so good at english that I won't have any problem with an extra, advanced class)

Uh... I could answer why I'm studying japanese too, but I feel like I'm not really answering the question OP wanted me to answer  :frozen:

Hey Lasonax, when you notice that we already have a similar thread, feel free to merge the topics or to paste the link of the other thread in here, so that we can continue to discuss the matter in the 'already existing thread'. Thanks, man!

I've always wanted to understand new culture that's why I want to learn a new language. If you will want to learn a culture and a society, learning a new language is a must. I had a lot of fun doing it too.

It all started as curiosity for me slo I just love to travel, see the world and be able to use it in a foreign country,. I love to be able to speak in a foreign language, learn the culture their way of living, make new friends and visit different places, I also love listening to foreign music particularly in the languages that I am learning, and love watching films and movies.

I have no real reason to learn a language other than curiosity interest and just love learning languages.

Initially it was because I had to when I was in high school.  Now its because I want to and I really enjoy doing it.  We have many Hispanics living in my area and I would like to be of help to them if they need it.

I am bored a lot and I think of it as a unique and fun way to pass the time. I also thought about travelling and seeing places. It'd be nice to not rely on hand gestures and broken sentences while you travel. Going to a place where you can actually speak the language is better because you can experience it more and there are no language barriers to stop you from meeting people and having a good time.

I just thought of learning a foreign language because I noticed that Spanish is the next common language next to English that is spoken in many countries, and we were colonized by the Spaniards after all for 300 years, so it makes sense to learn Spanish, since a lot of our local words are derived from the Spanish vocabulary.

It all started as curiosity for me slo I just love to travel, see the world and be able to use it in a foreign country,. I love to be able to speak in a foreign language, learn the culture their way of living, make new friends and visit different places, I also love listening to foreign music particularly in the languages that I am learning, and love watching films and movies.

I have no real reason to learn a language other than curiosity interest and just love learning languages.

You sound so much like me when I was younger and very eager to learn a new language just for fun.  Back then I used to tell myself that all my effort would pay off sooner or later, because if I learnt to speak that language well then more doors would open for me and I'd get o meet a lot interesting people and interact with them in their own language.

Funny how things change!  Barely have any time to learn a new language nowadays, but have to learn dutch because I really need to!  Hehehe!  No plans to learn a new language for fun in the near future tho.

• 3 weeks later...

Like I have said in other threads before, I decide to start learning Spanish because my grandfather doesn't speak a word of English or any other language at that. He is a very wise and thoughtful man so I would really like to share a few conversations with him before it is too late.

First, I don't know why but i feel it's kinda stupid for known only one language, I'm not saying that smart people know two languages or more but i think that everybody should learn another language.

When I was younger I used to being shaped by the different languages. If there was a language that I didn't know being spoken around me, I would really want to learn it and I would find it very exciting. Through school I got to learn and experience what other languages like. I love the link that a language can bring you to another culture. Essentially over time my passion for languages dropped. The main reason for me was I was not able to apply my knowledge very well. This led me to the conclusion that I learned languages primarily for communication. So if I'm not in a position to communicate with the specific language might interest will not be there. So my reasons for seeking to learn a foreign language will be solely to communicate.

Well, just like a lot of people, I learn a new language because of curiosity! I may also find the language that I'm learning to be interesting and appeals to me. I took a language class in high school just so that I could enter post secondary, because they require you to have a second language. That language was French by the way. At first, I didn't find it to be very interesting. But as I went on through the course, I slowly became more and more interested in it. Now, I can speak quite conversationally!