Linguaholic

Do you use correct English when you are talking to your friends?

Dieselfit

I would love to, but I don't know... It can come off as being snob, to be honest. I always try to adapt my english depending on the situations I encounter myself in.

I would love to, but I don't know... It can come off as being snob, to be honest. I always try to adapt my english depending on the situations I encounter myself in.

I don't know man. How is being correct coming across as a snob? I mean sure if you keep on telling the other person how stupid there texting is, then it can be annoying for them but otherwise, it's surely not.

I think it really depends on which friends I am speaking with. With my boyfriend I try to use proper English at all times because he is a grammar Nazi, but with some of my other friends we speak in slang. I think it's weird when we all get together too. Then I have to speak a mix of both.  :indian:

When I am talking to friends I rarely use completely proper english. I, like most people, use slang and other terminology that wouldn't be considered proper throughout the day.

Of course we wouldn't use completely perfect English with our friends but there are some things we may say by mistake when we're speaking to someone formally. Practice makes perfect, sort of. So in a way, using proper English will be useful when we're in need to use it in a job interview or something like that.

Yes. It doesn't matter who I'm talking to, how casual the conversation is, or what piece of technology I'm using, I always use correct English. It became a form of pride at some point, when I got my first cell phone and started texting friends and seeing the way they shortened words and the acronyms they used... I just never caught the habit.

I will sometimes use 'lol', and when I'm being all-caps dramatic I'll use 'omg' but that's about as far as it goes for me.

I never minded people who don't, especially once I was introduced to tumblr (text-speak is basically their native language) but I don't do it myself.

I do use shortened forms of words when sending text messages on my cell phone.  I am not the fastest text message sender in the world, so any time that I can save, while still managing to make myself understood, is a blessing.  However, while posting on a forum such as this one, or on a social media site such as Facebook, I do try to use proper English because I feel that it expresses my personality better.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I try to be grammatically correct whenever I speak be it with friends, colleagues or strangers. Language is a medium where the more you use it, the more accustomed you get to it. If you tend to use broken English a lot, sooner or later you'll find it harder to speak proper English since broken English has become a norm to you.

I'm never formal when I talk to or text my friends, but in more professional cases I will. For instance, I know when and when not to use slang words, etc. Practice does make perfect, but as long as you know the language well, then it's okay to create abbreviations.

In daily conversations, me and my friends use a combination of English and our language we call Taglish. Correct English is more important to be used in formal speaking and writing though it must also be applied in our daily interactions with people. We however are not that conscious of our correct grammar when we are talking to friends. :)

It's funny to think about, but me and my close group of friends actually have this habit of purposefully distorting grammar and using improper English mixed with tons and tons of slang for comedic effect. After such interactions, I would find myself having trouble adjusting to proper English again, so I don't think it's really healthy for a writer for instance. I do believe that speaking too properly comes off as rather robotic and unnatural, and it stands out too much in casual interaction.

If I am chatting, I use short cuts, abbreviations, and try to be grammatically correct.

I am not as careful as when I am writing a letter, essay, article, or blog.

I do try to self correct, if I catch it, but otherwise, I do not worry about it, in a chat environment

I use proper grammar with everybody. Except if I need to get something across quickly. In that situation, I feel no qualms typing as furiously and incorrectly as necessary to get the point across.

On the subject of contractions... Well, I think in contractions. So I type in contractions too. I grew up in East Texas and cannot escape the fact that if I omitted contractions on principle, then a lot of things would sound cumbersome in my accent. It sounds wrong in my mind.

I don't really care whether my gramma or spelling is correct when communicating with friends. Afterall it's friends and we know each others capabilities so the important thing is to give your responses speedily.

I try to always use correct English, even when speaking to my friends. I also advocate that they use correct English as well; I correct them whenever they use improper grammar and it's certainly a habit that I need to kick. Most of the corrections, though, are in the form of using good versus well.

I always use proper english when talking to everyone, even when texting or sending emails. I personally despise text language so I avoid using it at all costs.

I have made quite a few foreign speaking friends recently and have been helping them improve their English grammar and pronunciation which is probably something that has led me to be inclined to use proper grammar.

Me and my friends tend to make fun of how pop culture has influenced the English language. So we deliberately talk using both bad grammar and the popular way of texting. For example, we'll replace a word ending with an 's' with a 'z', or even multiple 'z' ' s.

However, it's ironic how when we talk face to face we actually keep up to the grammatical standards :P.

Well, I use the correct form of English but I really don't put much effort to write correctly. Although, there are certain words we write in a way leaving out the actual correct form. But, my usage of those words are minimal unlike my friends. [i'm one of those people that chat as if they're writing an essay] Also, when we're talking in flesh, we all use the correct English unless we're speaking pidgin English.

e.g. Where are you going? - Where you dey go?

Among my friends and myself, I think that we use proper grammar, for the most part. Of course, we still use some slang, but far less than the majority of our peers. This might be because we are pretty well educated, but who knows.

Whether it is friends or business, I tend to use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.  I equate it with being respectful in communicating and not implying I am too busy or hurried to bother with the communication.  I also think it is too easy to fall into bad habits so why not write properly?