Linguaholic

Learning languages how hard?

mareebaybay

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I agree. It also depends on which language are you going to learn and how much do you like learning the language. For instance, I learned Japanese when I was in high school. I found it very difficult to learn because I didn't really want to take it if I had a choice. I had to pick between Japanese, Spanish, and French. I ended up dropping the class after 3 months because I failed two of the tests.

It depends on the language but it's always harder than you thought it would be.

It's easier when you have native speakers and culture around, much harder if you don't take classes and do everything at home, having internet as only source.

Learning english for me was the easiest thing ever.  That being said, I can assure you that some languages are easier to learn than others. So you can't say that learning a language is hard in general, because it really depends on the language you are learning and also your personal circumstances play a really important role when it comes to learning a new language.  What do I mean by personal circumstances? You might be wondering!  Well... things like, whether you have enough time to dedicate it lo learning a new language or not. Whether you're very stressed or not... if you have learning issues or you lose motivation easily...  A lot factors to take into account.

So, yes and no!  Yes, learning certain languages can be hard (depending on your mother language as well) and no, some languages aren't hard to learn.

It can be incredibly difficult depending some key factors, which language you're trying to learn, the age at which you're learning it, and how useful or important the language is to you.

I personally wish I had started learning German at a younger age because its much for difficult to nail down pronunciation at my age now. That being said, learning a new language is one of the most gratifying things I think I've experienced which makes all the hard work totally worth it!

Well I am guilty of being an optimist and being very persistent in life so for myself, I will not say that learning a new language is difficult; but can be very challenging. When you have heard and lived a specific language all of your life, it can be challenging to switch the native tongue off to immerse yourself in another language. My problem is that with our nation being such a melting pot, it’s hard for me to decide which languages should I learn to keep myself current?  I mean what common languages should a person know in order to at least survive these days? That’s what plagues my choices in learning new languages for me.

How hard would you rate learning a new language? In my opinion learning a new language is pretty difficult.

Many times learning a language can be easier based on your enthusiasm.

When one is crazy about a given language, no matter how hard the language is, one find some charming trying to learn it, doing whatever possible to succeed in the less time.

At least I have found that motivation plays an important rule when it comes to lean myself a language.

It depends a lot on how you go about learning it. When you think about it, your native language, be it English or otherwise, was "learned" by you when you were young without you even noticing it. If you spend a lot of time with people who speak that language, and practice it on a daily level, you can easily become fluent in something in a matter of years.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if a rating can be placed on whether a language is easy or hard to learn. I think that it takes a lot of motivation and dedication to learn any language. It is also my opinion that if you have a lot of interest in learning the language you will reach your goal more quickly than if you are forced to learn or don't see much need to.

I'd give a rating of 8/10. That I understand is because the are hardly any native Spanish speakers in the town where I live. Many times I have to write lines of dialog and read them out loud as a way to practice speaking the language. Yeah, learning a new language can be really,  really hard.

Depends on whether I was previously exposed to the language or not. Also greatly depends on your interest towards said language. If you really like the language you're learning, you will only enjoy learning it. If you don't like the language, it feels hard no matter how easy it is to learn.

I'd say that learning a language is one of the hardest things we could do because it's a process that takes time and dedication, it's not something you pick up in a couple of months without studying, it's hard work.

I would agree that it depends on which language you are trying to learn. If you are looking for a language that is easier to learn then it is best to go with one that is more similar to your native language. For example, if you speak Spanish it would make sense to learn Italian or another similar romance language. The sentence structures are similar so it's easier to get into.