Linguaholic

Pimsleur

Trellum

Has anyone over here tried the Pimsleur Dutch course?  Was it of any help to you?  I'm asking this because I already have this course, and so far I think this course is great.  Mostly because I need to start speaking Dutch soon, right now I'm not worried about spelling and grammar at all.  I just want to start speaking the language... some useful phrases.  Please share your experience with this course, and if you have any suggestion... feel free to let me know :)

• 2 months later...

I haven't used Pimsleur for Dutch, but I've listened to the Spanish and German ones. They're okay, and I'd definitely recommend them for pronunciation, but I'm not completely convinced that it helps with speaking and grammar.  :smile:

I think Dutch really isn't a language to learn only by listening to it. The grammar is extremely hard and very irregular.

You could maybe get away with it for basic grammar in the present tense but that would be it.

But still, I encourage you to learn Dutch! It's a great language and although everyone in Belgium and The Netherlands speaks English, you'll get a lot of surprised eyes if you can speak Dutch to a native speaker.

• 1 month later...

Hi delusional! Actually my boyfriend told me that learning dutch is a mustvif I want to find a job over there, because that will definitely make things way easier for me. I think I will stick to the Pimsleur method for the basics, then after that I will try a different course. But it seems learning dutch while in the Netherlands is way easier than at home!

I haven't used Pimsleur for Dutch, but I've listened to the Spanish and German ones. They're okay, and I'd definitely recommend them for pronunciation, but I'm not completely convinced that it helps with speaking and grammar.  :smile:

It does help with speaking :P it also does with grammar, but you need to pay a lot attention to it in order to really get the most out of it. I wish the course came with a booklet of some sort! So we could at least see a transcription of the whole lesson ;p knowing how to write a language is really important too ;)

• 2 months later...

It does help with speaking :P it also does with grammar, but you need to pay a lot attention to it in order to really get the most out of it. I wish the course came with a booklet of some sort! So we could at least see a transcription of the whole lesson ;p knowing how to write a language is really important too ;)

I don't know about Dutch, but I know some of the other language courses do this for some of the later lessons. There's one for Spanish and, I think, Italian or German, at least.... Apparently, Dutch may have this as well? http://www.pimsleur.com/Learn-Dutch/Dutch-Phase-1-Units-1-30/9781442319134 The description mentions a reading booklet, at least.

It's been a few months, how's your Dutch-learning going?

• 3 weeks later...

Hahahaha, not good!  Not going good, so far this is what I've learnt:

Hoi!

Hoe gaat het met u?

gaat het goed!

pardon, mvrow...?

Sprekt u nederlands?

U sprekt heel goed engels!

Lol, sorry, not sure if I wrote most of those right.  How I wish there was a section in this sub forum for practicing some small talk in dutch.  It would be awesome!  So the native dutch speakers could correct my awful dutch, lol.

Btw, I have the reading booklet you were talking about, but isn't useful at all... it doesn't come with the course's transcriptions.

• 2 months later...

Hi there!  Yeah, I will try.  I started studying the course again, I found another one, but it's kinda old, it seems to be a good one tho.  I might give it a try right after I'm done with this one tho.  I really need to finish this course soon, I can say I have already learnt to say quite a few things, but the spelling is still an issue.  My vocab is still very limited tho  :shy: