Linguaholic

Does anyone have any trick on learning Spanish in a weird way?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

You can try by associating Spanish words to English words that sound similarly but have different meaning of course.

Knowing the English word and its meaning will automatically pull in the Spanish variation that you associated and the corresponding meaning in the knowledge that the set of words are not the same, but a trick to help you learn

I have great success with learning by trying to translate songs.  Repetition is necessary for learning, and songs often repeat the same phrases over and over.  I learned a lot of Korean by translating songs I heard at clubs into english.

But for spanish, since I live in a spanish-speaking country, I am having a lot of fun translating english songs into spanish for my friends who don´t speak english.  It is almost funny that many people who cannot speak english, can sing most of the óldies´ and have no clue what the song is about.  In some cases, I have friends with very specific favorite songs where I have sit down with them and do an accurate translation.  With other songs, I try to translate for them on the fly, which is often comical when you do Guns and Rose´s Paradise City.

Another really good tool for this is Youtube  Especially for spanish, almost every song you can think of will have a version where the song has subtitles in spanish.

I look for anything that can be a lesson. For example, if you go to a Latin American restaurant, taking time to read and translate the menu helps. There are a lot of words you'll see repeated like arroz, pollo, and frijoles. That repetition helps the words stay in your memory. Reading and translating ads in magazines, information and directions on the back of products is another way to learn Spanish.

I'm a visual learner, and I tend to let my senses cross. (making visual associations with sounds) So I will take a word, like blanco, and imagine a white donkey. I don't know why the first thing I see when I hear the word blanco is donkey.. maybe I'm associating it with "bronco" or something. Anyway, that's what I do. It makes it easier. I take the sounds of the words I'm learning and assign them the proper visuals I need in order to remember them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have great success with learning by trying to translate songs.  Repetition is necessary for learning, and songs often repeat the same phrases over and over.  I learned a lot of Korean by translating songs I heard at clubs into english.

But for spanish, since I live in a spanish-speaking country, I am having a lot of fun translating english songs into spanish for my friends who don´t speak english.  It is almost funny that many people who cannot speak english, can sing most of the óldies´ and have no clue what the song is about.  In some cases, I have friends with very specific favorite songs where I have sit down with them and do an accurate translation.  With other songs, I try to translate for them on the fly, which is often comical when you do Guns and Rose´s Paradise City.

Another really good tool for this is Youtube  Especially for spanish, almost every song you can think of will have a version where the song has subtitles in spanish.

This is a great idea! I actually never though of this one in my many attempts at learning Spanish fluently. I must try!  :party: Thanks for this idea. About how long did it take you? Was it kind of like learning lyrics the English way? Interesting! I'm going to download some songs to my itunes now. Thank you.

The only way I know of learning Spanish is through hard work. You either take a course or emerge yourself in a Spanish-speaking only environment.  :nerd:

Of course, their are a lot of 'weird' methods promoted all over the Internet.  One of them is the belief an individual can learn Spanish in his or her sleep through the usage of CDs.  Although this method sounds in enticing, I don't believe it actually works.