Linguaholic

So how many new languages have you learnt?

justinroberts

So how many new languages have you guys learnt? Languages that were learnt as a child growing up or taught by parents doesn't count. I'm talking about languages that you learnt on your own by studying or taking classes. I've learnt and am still learning only one language and that's French. I learnt it in school and by doing learning through duolingo.

I know two languages, which are English and Chinese. I learned Japanese when I was in high school, but dropped out the class because I found it difficult to learn. I didn't do very good in the Japanese class because I failed two of the exams. I have learned French when I was in college, but didn't continue because I focused on my major instead. I would like to go back to learn French in the future though.

I had learned only one language and that is  the Korean Hangeul and up to the present I am still studying it for further learning and at the same time for me to be fluent speaking the language. And its great! :)

I speak English but I'm minoring in German language at my university so I'm getting pretty close to being bilingual I think, hopefully after studying abroad my speaking skills and pronunciation will get much better!

I'm fascinated by different cultures and thus different languages. I also love to travel to foreign countries. So knowing basic words in different languages definitely helps. With all that said, I've actually studied 5 and attempted to study a 6th. I'm not fluent in any. But I can read well and interact sufficiently with 2 of them. It used to be 3, but I didn't keep up.

Ah not as many as I thought I'd know by now when I was 16 years old, lol.  I have learn only 1 new language in the last 10 years, and that's just english.  Right now I'm trying really hard to learn Dutch because I might be moving to the Netherlands, since I have no EU passport it a requirement for me to learn Dutch.

I'm trying to hurry up a little, I was planning to start learining it after my trip to the Netherlands, but I think it would be wiser to at least learn a few phrases before my trip on january.  I think that would allow me to learn more and more dutch words :)  After this the count of languages I've learnt will rise to 2 ;)

I'm probably at about 10% to 20% complete on my lessons in Japanese, so by your standards, my answer is none.  :laugh: I do know Chinese though, and I learned that earlier in life, so it might not count. It's certainly a little harder to learn as an adult with less time for hobbies.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently learning Spanish and Japanese. I still have a long way to go, but the process is an enjoyable one.

I think learning a new language is a great way to keep your mind in shape. It also eliminates language barriers, and allows you to make friends with people of other nationalities more easily.

I know how to speak english. I am still learning German. I don't know but I feel I'm too slow in learning this language. The problem now is that I stop attending classes because of my work and I don't have someone I can talk to everyday. I used to talk to my cousin before but she move to other country so It is very seldom that we talk because of out busy schedules and the time difference.