Linguaholic

Favorite Science-Fiction Authors

Mizali

What are some of people's favorite authors in the Science-Fiction genre? 

Since this is the English Literature section, let's stick to authors who write primarily in English for this particular discussion, though I suppose that authors who have translations from other languages available would be okay too.

As for myself, I think that my favorite series of Science Fiction books is the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold.  She happens to be one of my favorite Fantasty writers as well, but this particular series of books is one that I finished recently and really enjoyed.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I would say the "Gone with the Respiration" series written by Lia Habel. It is both a science fiction and dystopian novel written by one of the newest authors. It is set in the year of 2195, which talks about zombies and war. That is a good novel right there!

There isn't a specific author I enjoy, because I tend to read few books from a single author, so I can only discuss individual books instead of body of work. I really enjoyed Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 and Margaret Atwood's The Handmail's Tail, but I think these aren't considered your classic sci-fi. There is a classic author of whom I read two books, and enjoyed both greatly: Clifford D. Simak (the books were City and The Visitors). These were definitly more typical sci-fi, but I enjoyed the unusual storylines greatly.

I'm not a great fan of sagas and series, but have been curious lately about the works of Iain M. Banks. Are they recommended?

I've had a long interest in the novels of William Gibson ever since I read his first one, 'Neuromancer.'  I've also read 'Count Zero' as well as 'Mona Lisa Overdrive.'  I also read 'Virtual Light.'  I have catching up to do as I've not read some of his more recent novels.

Another favorite author is Samuel R. Delaney, particularly 'Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand.' 

I've also read some of Harlan 'sshort stories.  I read and enjoyed Ursula K. LeGuin's novel, 'The Left Hand of Darkness.' 

Does Douglas Adams count?  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an amazing and funny work (if you are in to that kind of humor).  Another favorite of mine is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (movie for this just came out/is coming out).

Ray Bradbury is my favorite science fiction author. I read his The Illustrated Man twice already and it's even better than the first time. Kaleidoscope is probably the best short story I have ever read, The Long Rain is also an amazing story.

• 2 weeks later...

Ray Bradbury is my favorite science fiction author. I read his The Illustrated Man twice already and it's even better than the first time. Kaleidoscope is probably the best short story I have ever read, The Long Rain is also an amazing story.

Can't forget Fahrenheit 451....everyone should read that book.  Not sure if it is truly Science Fiction or not, but it is close.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Carl Sagan of "Contact" which was made into a movie with Jodie Foster as the lead character. Steven  Spielberg is another one. I have read the book version of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". Another one is the author of "Alien" but I forgot the name. :)

I like Carl Sagan of "Contact" which was made into a movie with Jodie Foster as the lead character. Steven  Spielberg is another one. I have read the book version of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". Another one is the author of "Alien" but I forgot the name. :)

Oh, I have heard about the book "Contact", but has forgotten what's it about. Is it about aliens or something?

I don't really read a lot of new sci-fi writers, although, I should have because we are kind of living in a futuristic society. I read a lot of Philip K. Dick and that is about it. I did try to give Snow Crash a read, but I couldn't get through it.  :frozen:

Strange that no one Isaac Asimov's books. It's not that he was merely a prolific writer, most of his work was pretty decent IMO.

Yeah, I know Asimov by reputation, and mean to get into him reading him soon enough. I'm thinking about the Foundation trilogy for a start, what do you think?

I like most of his books so I wouldn't like say, such and such a book is much better than the other. Good choice though but. . .

The Foundation Series is quite long. . .

Long books and series are not a problem for me. But if you care to give me an indication of shorter books, I'm all hears!

The Foundation Series is great. Just go ahead and read it. But in addition to it, you could take a quick look at some of Asimov's greatest short stories:

Nightfall.

Evidence.

The dead past.

The last question.

It's a subjective list. . .

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to say that my favorite science-fiction author is Lemony Snicket :cool:. I've read some of the series of "A Series of Unfortunate Events" a while back. Very captivating,just haven't had the opportunity to read them all.

The Foundation Series is great. Just go ahead and read it. But in addition to it, you could take a quick look at some of Asimov's greatest short stories:

Nightfall.

Evidence.

The dead past.

The last question.

It's a subjective list. . .

I would also suggest the Robot stories by Asmiov, starting with I, Robot. It happens in the same universe as the Foundation series, exploring the nature of robotics and artificial intelligence.

I would also suggest the Robot stories by Asmiov, starting with I, Robot. It happens in the same universe as the Foundation series, exploring the nature of robotics and artificial intelligence.

Thanks, guys. I'll add those to my shopping list!

Thanks, guys. I'll add those to my shopping list!

No problem! I've recently started exploring sci-fi books myself - it's something I've always loved watching on TV or in film but have never considered reading. The other series which I have started with is 'Culture' by Iain M. Banks, starting with Consider Phlebas. This might be of interest to you, too.

The other series which I have started with is 'Culture' by Iain M. Banks, starting with Consider Phlebas. This might be of interest to you, too.

I already had that on my shopping list, ever since I heard about the author's death (I admit he was unknown to me prior to it). How are you finding it? I undertand it might be more in the hard sci-fi spectrum...

I already had that on my shopping list, ever since I heard about the author's death (I admit he was unknown to me prior to it). How are you finding it? I undertand it might be more in the hard sci-fi spectrum...

I had similar concerns - I'm new to sci-fi, but I was still looking for a fairly sophisticated world that I could get lost in. There is an online introduction to the world of the 'Culture' here http://www.vavatch.co.uk/books/banks/cultnote.htm. The prose is actually a lot heavier than the books themselves (at least in my experience of Consider Phlebas so far) so don't be too put off. It's an interesting philosophical and practical introduction though.

• 4 weeks later...

I Love Isaac Asimov's works. Especially the short stories. Those that just make you go "Huh?". I love the fact that even though his works are not that modern, a lot of his thoughts are still relevant.