Linguaholic

What language should I learn?

kieraliera

I'm 18 now and I only know English, is anyone out there kind enough to recommend some languages that are good to learn? I'm still confused about what I want to learn. I'm pretty dead set sure on Italian but none others. Also I'm just learning Japanese (started yesterday) so yeah :D!

I think you should just stick with what appeals to you. It's hard enough to learn a whole new language, and it gets even harder when your heart's not in it, so it's quite important that you choose one that you would personally find value in. I think Japanese or Italian would be an excellent choice.

Well, you have to ask yourself why you want to learn a new language.  When I was 16 years old I wanted to learn as many languages as possible, but in the end I fell short because I couldn't stay focused. Just try to focus on just one language at a time.  Finding a new language to learn shouldn't be that hard, specially since you are already learning japanese :)  You should also ask yourself why you want to learn this language in specific tho. 

Learning a new language requires a lot patience and effort, so if it takes you a while to learn it is ok and totally expected.

I think it depends on your own interest, if not required by school. I know some schools do require students to learn a second language as their elective before they can graduate. I think I would pick the language that I consider useful in the future because that's what most people would tend to pick a new language to learn. Have you considered Spanish? It is one of the most common languages to learn other than English because there are a lot of people out there who have chosen Spanish as their second language to learn.

• 2 months later...

China's economy is definitely growing fast enough and it might be on its way to become the next economic giant. So if you are going to become a businessman or aspire to make lots of money, I would recommend that you learn Chinese so that you can join the market in China. I heard that many schools in Britain and USA are teaching Chinese to their students as early as 7 years old.

Hey Zacwrong

Welcome to Linguaholic.com ;=) I already followed your advice and started studying Chinese many years ago. However, I did it out of pure passion and not because of the fact that China will be the next 'economic giant'. That's just some sort of nice 'side-effect' for me, I guess :=)

Where are you from exactly within China?

kind regards

lingua

Hey Zacwrong

Welcome to Linguaholic.com ;=) I already followed your advice and started studying Chinese many years ago. However, I did it out of pure passion and not because of the fact that China will be the next 'economic giant'. That's just some sort of nice 'side-effect' for me, I guess :=)

Where are you from exactly within China?

kind regards

lingua

Hi Lingua,

I'm actually not from China but from Singapore (which is not near China). In Singapore, students (starting from 7 years old) have to learn English and their Native Language, which is Chinese for my case. It is complusory for Chinese in Singapore to learn Chinese, so I didn't learn it out of passion.

However, the Chinese characters are very beautiful as the characters can portray its meaning. Here is an example from TedTalks.

Where are you from Lingua?

I actually know that woman. She is the woman in charge of the project www.chineasy.org, right? The project is cool, I have to admit. However, "linguistically", the approach is a little bit problematic.

I am from Switzerland Zacwrong.

I think you should try Spanish out.  Spanish is a fun language to learn and is a lot easier than other languages such as French and German especially if you have studied both languages previously. 

It really depends what you hope/plan to get out of it. I have a friend who wanted to learn french because he thought it would impress girls. If your intentions are a bit more practical, I'd recommend a popular, widespread language like spanish, arabic, mandarin, etc. Quite honestly, sometimes the process itself is more rewarding than the end result.