Linguaholic

Difference between "I" and "me"

ddrmario123

Hey guys, another lesson here.

"I" and "me" are both pronouns referring to yourself.

People think it's okay to use them interchangeably which is incorrect.

The word "I" is always used as a subject. The word "me" is always used as an object.

Correct Usage for "I" : "Jane and I went to the beach."

The subject being "Jane and I," "I" is part of the subject.

Correct Usage for "me" : "Jane went to the beach with me."

The word "me" is used as the object of the preposition.

Incorrect Usage for "I" : "Jane went to the beach with I."

The word "I" is used as the object of the preposition when "I" should only be used as a subject.

Incorrect Usage for "me" : "Me and Jane went to the beach."

The word "me" is used as the subject instead of an object.

I agree. "I" and "Me" shouldn't use interchangeably because one is use as a subject and the other one is use as an object. There is always a "to be" or action word after the "I", which is one method to remember "I" is use as a subject. Great post! Thanks for sharing!

This is indeed a very common mistake, particularly with non native speakers. They should never be used interchangeably. It sounds very very wrong. Thanks for the simply explained lesson, I'm sure many will find it really useful!

Of course it's obvious when you're being polite (as you should) and put yourself as the last subject ("My friend and I..."), but when you turn it around, it feels more natural to use 'me': "Me and my friend...".

For impolite people, would the correct way still be "I and my friend went to town"? Even though it feels wrong?

Of course it's obvious when you're being polite (as you should) and put yourself as the last subject ("My friend and I..."), but when you turn it around, it feels more natural to use 'me': "Me and my friend...".

For impolite people, would the correct way still be "I and my friend went to town"? Even though it feels wrong?

It isn´t just polite, it is correct grammar.  Whenever you use the pronoun ´I´ it must come last in any list ( and, or).  I and my best friend is just as incorrect as me and my best friend, but for different reasons.

It drives me crazy when I hear people say I incorrectly.  :amazed:

There was a education program that run on Saturdays between the cartoons. They taught grammar, math and US civics in a fun manner. It was called School House Rock. One of my favorites was called Conjunction Function.

http://youtu.be/RPoBE-E8VOc