Linguaholic

Words or phrases that can be used in office

aditk8149

Coming from a corporate background, if I want to use some words/phrases in the office environment, what would they be?

I am more into using the phrases which try to create humor around.

Hoping for some amazing words!

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think when in formal settings like in the workplace, it's more efficient to just focus on what you can't say, because I think you can say almost anything, so it might be easier to keep track of the other side which is fewer. In my opinion, as long as you don't talk about politics and religion, you'd be fine. As for being funny, I think work related jokes, anecdotes, and stories are always hilarious for the group of people who can actually understand them. This is how most inside jokes start out. Good luck. :)

This is an intriguing topic, as I prefer using informal language even in the office. Although, one word that I can suggest is "intermittent". Say, for example, you need to submit a formal complaint about your network because you keep getting disconnected. You can probably say, "I have had intermittent internet connection since this morning, and it has been difficult for me to work properly." Tada!

In corporate American there are dozens of words that make you sound like a corporate tool who does nothing useful but make up stuff.  Thins like "Action-oriented" and "people-centric"  Basically concatenate two words that sound businessy together and you have a new buzzword. 

Or just google corporate buzzwords.

I think that i would go with what baburra said in the sense that pretty much anything goes and that you would rather focus on what not to say. You could easily say something and some one could get the wrong impression and so i think that it is best to look at the alternative on what not to say

This is an interesting question because it touches on the area of "buzzwords" and "manager speak". As several other people have already said, you can use most normal language in the workplace... but you can also hear some very strange words. This is particularly true in companies with a certain type of management culture - competitive, leading-edge businesses are especially prone to linguistic idiocy (in my opinion).

It's been a while since I was in the workplace (I work from home, freelance, and have done for several years) but I still remember the ridiculous things like "business ecosystem", "sustainability", "dynamic", "transformative change" and a huge list of other words and expressions that were abused and misused. There's one email I really wish I'd kept: it consisted of half a page of text using management terminology almost exclusively, but all it really said was "Great job! We had a really good year."

It can be very hard to separate good office language from what I consider stupid word abuse.

Some expressions that are very good for the office are things like:

"my to-do list" - my list of things that I have to do today, this week or in some other time frame

"critical path" - the things that absolutely must be done to achieve the goal

"prioritise" - to put tasks in order, so that the most important are done first

"FYI" - "for your information", something that may be helpful or important

As you can see, business expressions are frequently normal expressions which have a specific meaning in the office.

• 6 months later...

It could be a little difficult to say which words or phrases can be use in an office since all offices should  but do not operate the same. I think that as long as nothing insulting, derogative or racial comes out you should be ok.