Linguaholic

More fish in the sea :D

lookforuu

The phrase has catch up my attention at the right time. My girlfriend just left me a few days a  ago and for every friend I met with they were encouraging me with this phrase. I think The phrase "there is plenty of fish in the sea is what I need to hear you guys try to encourage me with.

• 2 weeks later...

The quote, "there's plenty of more fish in the sea", refers to when your boyfriend, or girlfriend, has recently broken up with you. When you've just been broken up with, you think that you life is over, and you're never going to find another person, but the quote tells you that there are plenty of other men out there for you

• 2 weeks later...

I remember I first heard this after I broke up with someone and my friend said to me, "there's plenty more fish in the sea." And I remember saying, "Yeah you're right" haha

hehe sounds funny. What is it supposed to mean? Could you make an example please  :wink:

This idiom is used to console a person who has just break up with a love one. I think using fish is to say that we as humans are many and we were compared to the fish in the sea because they are many also. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

While it's mostly used to console lovers who've been ditched, it also does work when you lose an opportunity and someone wants to remind you that if you lost something, there are plenty of other opportunities out there in the rough cold world. . .:)

• 8 months later...

I guess this saying would come in handy in almost any situation. For example it would be consoling to tell someone that they are many other fishes in the sea after they lose their job. This will motivate them to look for another job instead of staying home worrying about the future. It is commonly used in relationships to encourage someone to get out there and date after their heart has been broken.