Linguaholic

Free TOEFL Grammar Quiz

One good way to test your English and start preparing for the TOEFL exam is the following quiz that you can take for free:

TOEFL Grammar Quiz

This TOEFL grammar quiz focuses on grammar typically found on the TOEFL tests. Choose the correct grammar structure to complete the sentence. Each question has only one correct answer. When you are finished click on the "Next Question" button. There are 33 questions to this quiz. Try to use only 1 minute per question. At the end of the quiz, you will receive quiz feedback.

Link to the quiz is this, http://esl.about.com/library/quiz/bl_toefl1.htm

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

That TOEFL Grammar Quiz is interesting. I started to take it, and then got one wrong - and I'm a native English speaker! Looks like I need to get back to my roots and read up on English grammar. (For the curious: I incorrectly chose "none of the students (have) a car". The correct answer was apparently "has" - which sounds so unbelievably awkward to me!)

YEEEY! I have just tried answering some couple of questions in that TOEFL test and i don't think that it is very difficult, in fact i want to pass it to study abroad and what some of my friends told me about it, is that time is the problem because it is usually easy but time isn't enough to think and answer to all the questions quickly, so even if it is easy you will have to know how to manage your time.

Just tried it, it isn't exactly the hardest quiz ever. Some of the answers are a bit weird though. For example, the phrase "_______ that the American Indian crossed a land bridge into North America from what is now Russia."

It can be correctly completed with both past and present terms. The quiz says the correct answer is "It is thought", but the option "It was thought" is just as correct. The only thing that changes is the meaning of the sentence itself, and both are in fact grammatically correct. "it is thought" would imply that people still believe in the assumption and nothing has proven it wrong, whereas "it was thought" would mean that the theory is incorrect, as something has proven it otherwise since then.

Just tried it, it isn't exactly the hardest quiz ever. Some of the answers are a bit weird though. For example, the phrase "_______ that the American Indian crossed a land bridge into North America from what is now Russia."

It can be correctly completed with both past and present terms. The quiz says the correct answer is "It is thought", but the option "It was thought" is just as correct. The only thing that changes is the meaning of the sentence itself, and both are in fact grammatically correct. "it is thought" would imply that people still believe in the assumption and nothing has proven it wrong, whereas "it was thought" would mean that the theory is incorrect, as something has proven it otherwise since then.

This is the  case with many grammar tests, actually. The blanks can be filled with more than one variant of the correct answer while keeping the sentence grammatically correct. What I was wondering though is, does the examiner take all the possible answers into consideration?

And thanks for the link, I'll try the test and see how I score.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a useful link for persons who are planing to take the TOEFL. I am sure that individuals who want to take the test will appreciate all the extra help that they can get. Nothing beats preparation. When you have prepared for an examination by testing yourself repeatedly, you will feel more confident and less anxious.

This is the  case with many grammar tests, actually. The blanks can be filled with more than one variant of the correct answer while keeping the sentence grammatically correct. What I was wondering though is, does the examiner take all the possible answers into consideration?

And thanks for the link, I'll try the test and see how I score.

I also realized about the fact of many sentences that may seem grammatically incorrect but that can have more than one variant.

The funny thing is that I applied once for a position as a freelance writer at a content mill, and they use five random questions based on this TOEFL grammar quiz but, they don't consider such variants, hence if you don't give what they think is the right answer, you are given -1 point.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the TOEFL test exactly like this? I mean the level of difficulty? Is it this easy or it's a bit harder?

To be honest since I've never needed TOEFL I have never even bothered looking into what difficulty the questions are. I really hope that it's at this level, since I'm probably going to have to do it to get into a university for my master's since I'm planning on studying in another country and if it's at this level it will be load of my chest knowing that I don't have to study that hard :P