Linguaholic

Swedish pronunciation

BWL

I've always loved the Swedish pronunciation in particular the use of different accents (the flat versus the musical one) to differentiate words. I know that "anden" can have two meanings depending on the word melody. How do you differentiate this in writing? Is it something that you have to guess from the context and content of the sentence that you are reading?

• 2 weeks later...

The pronunciation is something that I am struggling with when it comes to learning Swedish. In regards to your question, I think you have to look at the context of the sentence and base it from that. The rest of the words in the sentence should give it away.

• 2 months later...

Interesting topic! As a swede I should know the answer for this but it sure is hard to explain pronunciation in writing..

I guess "anden av anden" ("the spirit of the duck") would be a though one.. ;)

• 6 months later...
I know that "anden" can have two meanings depending on the word melody. How do you differentiate this in writing?

You don't, really. Swedish isn't a very helpful language, to the delight of punsters and crossword fans, and the dismay of everyone else. You just have to learn how the individual words are pronounced, and then figure out which one it's supposed to be by the context.

The exception is some words with accents. Like idén (the idea) as opposed to iden (dens to hibernate in), or armén (the army) vs. armen (the arm). I have no idea why only some words get that extra clarification, since it would probably make the language a lot easier if it were more common.

• 1 month later...

Context, it's all about the context when it comes to the written form.  I love Swedish tho, it might seem like a very complex language to some, but it really isn't so bad, specially if you like the language as much as I do :) I say: If you want to learn a language, no matter how hard it is, but if you really have the desire to do so... you can do it!

If you really want to go for it, then do it!  Just make sure to get as much materials (online) as you can, and also try to socialize with Swedish people online. 

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic! As a swede I should know the answer for this but it sure is hard to explain pronunciation in writing..

I guess "anden av anden" ("the spirit of the duck") would be a though one.. ;)

Ha, ha, Yes that is a  though one. In writing , if your not really into it.

But when would you use that, really? Unless in a joke or a play, its really nothing you would say  or write even, in a day to day situation. But it serves it purpose for teaching language though, as so many other texts out there, they teach you language skills and differences in nuances of the language, but are utterly useless in any situation in daily life.