Linguaholic

Do you watch telenovelas to learn Spanish?

No I have never tried it. I have tried watching movies without success because they were too hard to follow. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I might start trying to watch a few to get my comprehension better. Hopefully they aren't like the American ones, because I have never been a huge fan of any of the ones that run on the local channels around dinner time. They seem like a great way to practice though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I actually haven't tried this yet (mostly because I didn't have access to them until I got Hulu a few months ago). I usually listen to music to help me improve my Spanish but so many people have said good things about watching telenovelas that I think I will try this in the near future!

I watch telenovelas because I like to watch "soap operas" of all kinds, if I happen to pick up some Spansih then that is a bonus.  I watch English, Korean, Spanish, Hindi, and Chinese stories, even though I'm only fluent in English :smile:.

Next to English soaps, I've been watching Spanish telenovelas the longest.  My favorite so far is Sortilegio starring William Levy :sweating: :kiss:. 

Recently I've been watching "La Gata" and "Mi corazon es tuyo".

I haven't done it up to this point, but it sounds like it may be worth a shot. I believe we watched some of these in Spanish class in high school, but I'm not sure. I'm open to any tactic that can help me learn the language as fast as possible, and as well as possible.

There was a time when Spanish telenovelas were a big part of our culture but back then they were all translated into our local languages so it didn't help much with my Spanish. Now I get to see some shows on cable that are kept in their original language and I do tend to watch some of them and from that I've learned a few words and phrases but not really enough to carry a conversation. I would still agree that it definitely still helps.

Here's another update... Going on several months... I'm still watching telenovelas. Currently, I'm watching Te Voy a Ensenar a Querer and Gitanas. I watch them 5 times a week. So, that's about 10 hours of Spanish listening a week. Woohoo!!!

I'm still really excited about having this opportunity. And better yet, I'm still really interested in watching them. I've seen a major improvement in my understanding of what is being said.

• 1 year later...

Yes, indeed! I was lucky enough, to put it that way, to be introduced to telenovelas at my early age, when it was quite easier to pick up any language. Therefore, I acquired the Spanish language quite fast and now I can understand almost everything in Spanish, but unfortunately I am unable to say much. I am really looking forward to finding some Spanish language course in my surrounding area so that I can brush upon the language and learn how to write and speak, too.

I watched a little bit (when I was a teenager, I loved Argentinian soap operas) and I'd love to re-watch that good old Muneca Brava in Spanish but I can't find it anywhere :( It was pretty popular in Russia but then it was dubbed, and I can't find the original version anywhere...

If you know about a place/shop/online service where I can get some Argentinian fluffy love stories in original, do let me know!