Linguaholic

Grammar Nazism

I understand the need to to correct someone if they say something wrong, but lately I've seen a large increase in people trying to use this to win arguments. For example, someone might say "Whatever bro your just stupid." I understand the English language and the fact that it should be "Whatever, bro, you're just stupid.", but I don't correct it because I despise when people correct me. It might be different if the person's first language was something other than English and they were asking for help, but this usually isn't the case. It really gets on my nerves when others try to prove their "superior intellect" by correcting the spelling of a couple words in a sentence. Thoughts on this?

I agree with you.  I think it's intrusive and inappropriate to correct someone's grammar.  As I see it, that's crossing a boundary and ultimately it's disrespectful. 

That said, I do understand the temptation, as poor grammar can be grating. 

I think the only exception would be if it's a close friend or someone who has made it clear that they want to be corrected, for their own benefit and edification. 

I grew up in a country where English isn't the native language. So often times when students from countries with English as their native language arrive, they feel the need to correct our English. Honestly, it gets really frustrating after awhile. I think as long as your English is understandable, there should be no need to correct it.

Well if someone doesn't correct you, you don't learn but dammit the idiots who have the urge to point out every typo is snide comments are incredibly annoying. Yes I get its a 'there' and not a 'their', I don't need you to copy paste a dictionary definition to make yourself feel smart about a typing mistake.  :angry:

I don't think to "win an argument" it is appropriate.  However, I think if you know the person and they ask your opinion, it is better to help them than not.  Even if you are asked just to read for an idea, would you really want a friend to turn in a report for work, a paper or even put something out to the world that has obviously incorrect grammar?  I know I would appreciate the feedback since spell check will not pick up a "there" or "their".  I think if you do it as a friend, a friend will accept it and be thankful.

I am a grammar nazi, but I just keep the thoughts in my head, I don't correct people anymore especially these days. I only apply it on written text, which I think is where it is most helpful, because most of the time it is where formality and proper diction is still appreciated and expected.

I don't correct it because I despise when people correct me.

Sorry, you might be just overly sensitive. You honestly would rather make the same mistake over and over than have somebody point it out to you?

It might be different if the person's first language was something other than English and they were asking for help, but this usually isn't the case. It really gets on my nerves when others try to prove their "superior intellect" by correcting the spelling of a couple words in a sentence. Thoughts on this?

Sorry, but no. I'm not trying to prove my "superior intellect" to anybody, I just try to make the conversation readable. I'm sick and tired of lazy people not bothering to use proper (or at least semi-proper, I don't expect everybody to use Queen's English all of the time) English while writing. I'm not a native English speaker and when a native speaker uses worse English than I do, then something is very wrong here.

And if somebody misspells "a couple of words in one sentence" then they're either lazy and sloppy, or really need somebody to teach them how to spell properly, so either way I feel like I should correct them.

Are there people out there getting offended when a cashier points out to them that they made a mistake while counting money and tried to pay too little? If you're making mistakes, people will point them out. That's life.

Using it as a personal attack (i.e "You made grammatical mistakes therefor you must be stupid and your opinion ranks lower than mine") is just a sign of incompetence, and having nothing to say yourself. People who point out grammatical errors in a sentence are typically doing so to stall time, or to make themselves appear more "refined" than the person they're trying to argue with, simply because they assume their language skills are better.

I don't correct it because I despise when people correct me.

Correcting someone's mistakes isn't being a grammar nazi. I made my thoughts on what traditionally counts as a grammar nazi quite clear in older my post but correcting someone who made an obvious mistake is just helping them out.

You don't learn if you don't listen. Simple.

I am most definitely a grammar nazi. I always find myself correcting my friends when we're texting or IM'ing. Like the other day, my friend texted me "why is this so difacult", and I just had to correct him, so I answered back "It's 'difficult'..." and he got mad at me, just like he always does. Though there are some people I just cannot correct, because they'll get so mad that they'll ignore me for a while.

I usually let it slide, but if I hear the same mistake over and over, I'll generally mention something.  Earlier tonight, actually, two of my friends were talking about PINs, but they kept saying "PIN number".  I tried to bite my tongue, but after the 10th time I had to say "You know that PIN stands for 'personal identification number', right?  So, stop saying 'personal identification number number'!"  I could tell they were a little annoyed, but I was too. 

I think you can easily find a middle ground between the two. You do not want to come off as a jerk when you are trying to correct someone because it makes it seem like you are trying to lord knowledge over them. In the instance you were referring to where someone was insulting you while making a mistake, I can see that as difficult to tackle. BUT if it is a case where someone makes a mistake I think it's fine to correct them. It's helpful to every party involved. The one making the mistake may make a mental note and the grammar Nazi can crawl back into his cave happy with another conquest  :tongue:

If I were the one being corrected, I wouldn't mind, because I would rather be corrected than make the same mistake again in the future. A close friend had to point out to me the correct pronunciation of a word, and I'm grateful for that. I did try to correct a former college classmate before, and it's not related to spelling, it's idiom related, because she mentioned "single flight" instead of "solo flight" in one of our casual conversations, and I told her that it's "solo", not "single", and she told me that both have the same point anyway, so "single flight" can slide. Okaay. Whatever floats your boat.

In the case of "single flight", I'd be confused.  To me, that could imply a one-way flight, a non-stop flight, or a solo flight depending on the context it was used in.  We have those terms already and know what they mean, so one of those terms should be used for clarity. 

In terms of being corrected, I appreciate it most of the times it happens to me.  I read a lot, and I learn a lot of words through reading that I rarely have the opportunity to use in day-to-day conversation.  As a result, when I do get a chance to use one of those obscure words in conversation, I sometimes butcher it horribly and somebody corrects me.  I thank them and explain to them that I've only ever seen the word written before.  The only time I don't like being corrected is when the person correcting is a snob or jerk about it.

Well, if you feel your interlocutor has good intentions when correcting your mistakes, you shouldn't get upset. But if you're being corrected in a condescending way, just end the conversation and avoid talking to that person ever again. Expressing yourself in a foreign language is difficult enough without having to deal with this kind of "toxic" person.

Bad grammar irks me especially the your/you're thing. I don't expect people to be perfect. I'm not, but it's surprising how many people have bad English grammar especially Americans. Bad grammar from non-Americans doesn't bother me.

Anyway, I don't correct grammar online even though it does make me crazy. I do think it's bad because it's so prevalent that it may be seen as the norm. 

I usually reserve correcting people only when it is needed to be able to understand what they are sayng, unless the other person is someone who  know would prefer to know the correction. The exception is when the person being corrected is a jerk who needs a comeuppance.

I usually reserve correcting people only when it is needed to be able to understand what they are sayng, unless the other person is someone who  know would prefer to know the correction. The exception is when the person being corrected is a jerk who needs a comeuppance.

Exactly, why bother correcting it if you can understand them perfectly? Also, if it's something that would be embarrassing I would tell them so it wouldn't happen to them again.

I don't think it's rude or disrespectful to correct someone's spelling/grammar if you're doing it to be informative rather than to be a dick. I've heard that the French are extremely picky about grammar, because they're very preservative and respectful over their own language.

Seeing someone make mistakes and thinking it rude when someone corrects them is like watching someone trip and thinking it intrusive when someone tries to help them up. It's not rude or bad, and taking offense to it is childish. Learn from your mistakes, don't blame someone for pointing them out.

But that's not what 'grammar Nazism' is. That is when people correct you as a form of shaming or to be condescending, which is never okay. It's a form of trolling, and should never be taken seriously.

I never do this with people that I do not know well.  However, I have a young friend that is dear to me, and l call him my "heart-adopted" son.  His spelling and grammar are atrocious, and I do correct him on it when I read and comment on some of his Facebook posts.  He lives in another state now, so this is our main form of communication, sadly.  The way I do it, is non-confrontational in nature.  For example, he might post the following:  "I worked rilly late last nite", and I would comment, "I'm really sorry you had to work so late last night". He knows that I am doing this to help him, and he is not offended by it.