Linguaholic

Grammar Nazism

Grammar Nazis just flat out stink... Especially if they're going out of their way to correct someone.  It just irks me what some people will do to prove a point.  The point of tone they use oftentimes is what upsets me the most.

English is degrading these days and it's very prevalent in cyber space. If no one bothers to comment or correct a mistake, what will happen to this world? If we don't point out the mistake, how are people supposed to improve their grammar? I point out mistakes isn't because I want to insult said person but I want them to correct their mistakes so they don't repeat them.

I know there's a lot of hate towards Grammar Nazi's, but for some people, like myself, seeing a mistake is almost physically painful to read. It doesn't matter in what context it's written, wether it's an argument or an opinion, it just degrades the comment to a lower level, which is a shame in most cases, because the rest of the comment might be very well written.

Oh well, I just hope that people understand that we're not always correcting you to feel better about ourselves, it's just something that we can't really help.

Whilst there are certainly times when this would be rude or inappropriate, I think that there is a creeping and somewhat modern aversion to corrections for the sake of sparing a person's feelings. The fact that people have mocked my grammar flaws in the past has motivated me to learn the correct way of writing something. If a person never becomes aware that something they are writing/saying is incorrect, then how are they supposed to correct themselves?

While I don't actually correct people myself (unless they actually ask me to proofread their work) it does irritate me when people use the incorrect grammar. I wouldn't mind if English wasn't their first language, but all the people I know who make mistakes have learnt English all their lives and I don't see how they haven't managed to pick up on the mistakes they make yet. That said, correcting people just to prove your argument isn't a very nice thing to do, and it really doesn't help to prove your argument. If you're going to correct someone, you might as well do it in a pleasant way so that people are more likely to learn from their mistakes.

I used to be such a stickler for grammar and spelling. I'd get so caught up on the form that I wouldn't even bother trying to understand what the person was trying to say. If it's incomprehensible that's one thing, but good conversations often come to an end simply because a person used the wrong form of 'your'. So long as the person is making an effort and not typing all their words without vowels I'm pretty leniant, but might gently hint or remind them of the correct usage.

It irks me still, but I try to let it go.

Generally I don't and I find it annoying when someone does it to me.  If someone asks if what they said is correct I will help them but I hate to ruin an otherwise good conversation by criticizing someone.  Giving unsolicited advice for any topic is never wise to begin with, its just plain rude.

If you are resorting to correct someone's grammar to win an argument you have simply run out of valid points pertaining to the argument.

Unless someone is ESL and have stated they wish you to correct their grammar I don't correct people.

My grammar isn't perfect, especially when I'm typing online. It's not my place to correct others.

Having said that, it's hilarious when someone mentions someone else's grammar mistake and misspells grammar.

I agree with you on that, its nit picky and at times snobby to correct someone's usage and grammar when having a conversation with them.  Grammar Nazi indeed!  If someone asks me I will help them otherwise I don't worry about it.

I grew up in a country where English isn't the native language. So often times when students from countries with English as their native language arrive, they feel the need to correct our English. Honestly, it gets really frustrating after awhile. I think as long as your English is understandable, there should be no need to correct it.

I am from a country where Patois is our native language but because we were colonized by the British  there is a mixture of patois and English the refer to the natives as uneducated if they speak a mixture of both. go figure. :bored:

I don't usually openly correct the grammatical mistakes of other people unless they ask me to. With my set of close friends though,we just make these errors butt of jokes along with correcting the person who made a mistake. It's not proper to immediately correct the grammar of another person in public for this would embarrass him. Discreetly tell him in private or if the need arises. :)

People who feel the need to correct other people's grammar are just proud and elitist. It's stupid. It's obviously not the other person's strength. I'm sure they're good at something that you're not good at, so back off.

I don't agree kristinaw, if someone is saying something wrong, why not correct the person, no one minds on learning right? Sure, it will depend on you level of intimacy with the person, I won't jump on a stranger and say, you're saying it wrong, that would be... awkward lol, but if it's someone have intimacy with, why not?

I have worked as an academic editor, and in that context I'm certainly a grammar Nazi, but I wouldn't correct anyone's spoken English (or any other language I speak well) if they make a mistake. It's simply not good manners to point out when another person is doing something incorrectly, as long as the mistake doesn't affect other people. However, if people ask me to help them learn a language by correcting their  mistakes, then I'm happy to do so, in a gentle and constructive way of course!  :smile:

Where I'm from the dialect is so casual and removed from the original language that it's almost impossible to get it wrong, and English is a second language anyway so just getting the words out with some semblance of order is acceptable.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a thin line between constructive criticism and just plain criticism. I think for grammar, to correct someone in public is just not right unless you are a teacher teaching a student.

I have to agree with you. I despise it too. I don't particularly enjoy correcting people. Especially people who are not native speakers. I don't correct anyone, unless they ask me to. I don't think it's proper and polite to correct someone in public. Like @diprod said, there is a thin line between constructive criticism and just plain criticism. Some people correct other people and criticize them in order to "win" arguments.

If you're correcting someone's grammar to try and win an argument, then you've already lost the argument.

(having said that, incorrect grammar is a complete pet peeve for me. I don't think I'd correct someone when speaking, as that's impolite, but I always go AAAAARRRRGHHHH at rogue apostrophes (etc) on signs.)

The purpose of language is to aid people in communication. Communicating the message is of primary importance. Grammar Nazis totally get on my nerves too! They seem to be slaves of perfection. They seem to hold the opinion that being grammatically perfect is enough to make one a distinguished person!

• 1 month later...

I usually let it slide, but if I hear the same mistake over and over, I'll generally mention something.  Earlier tonight, actually, two of my friends were talking about PINs, but they kept saying "PIN number".  I tried to bite my tongue, but after the 10th time I had to say "You know that PIN stands for 'personal identification number', right?  So, stop saying 'personal identification number number'!"  I could tell they were a little annoyed, but I was too.

I understand what you're saying, but PIN has become so idiomatic that it's going to be used that way no matter what. I completely agree with you, but I think it's just best to let it slide, rather than correct people on it. Another favorite of mine is "I have to go to the ATM Machine." Ugh, I'm getting heated just thinking about it.

I like to have interesting conversations on all levels and don't try to correct people who have a unique way of talking. I don't even mind if they use a lot of swear words. For me it's about the essence of what they try to convey, about their background and their story. Imagine how boring novels would be if everyone spoke perfect text book language. A character in a story only comes truly alive through his unique mannerisms and language. And naturally the inspiration comes from real life.