Linguaholic

Singing J-Pop, my "other" habit

Mr.Styx

Okay I'll admit it:  I sing along to Jpop and the theme songs to the anime I watch.  In fact I am doing so now, "Complication" by ROOKiEZ is PUNK'D (OP2 of Durarara!!).  I started doing this as a way to learn and practice pronouncing Japanese words, but then, I must admit, I sort of liked it.  :tongue:

Is there anyone else with a similar habit that is willing to come forth? 

I used to sing Jpop songs all the time. I joined fandub groups where different people from the internet would each sing a part of the song and then we would mix it all together and make it into one song. It was fun and it helped me recognize a lot of Japanese words.

I don't have the time to do this any more, but it was great while it lasted, lol.

I used to sing Jpop songs all the time. I joined fandub groups where different people from the internet would each sing a part of the song and then we would mix it all together and make it into one song. It was fun and it helped me recognize a lot of Japanese words.

I don't have the time to do this any more, but it was great while it lasted, lol.

Wow, that sounds sort of interesting.  I did not realize such a thing existed.  I know there are fandubs, but doing it for a song like that seems clever. 

Do you happen to have any links to them?  If that's okay with you.

Oh, that actually reminded me of a video I found awhile back. 

It involves Durarara again, but that's only because someone brought it up.  :-p

Some Japanese fans reenacted the opening video theme to Durarara, but in real life with cosplay and stuff. 

Real-life Cosplay version:

Question:

Are there Japanese rappers or rap groups? I myself am heavily into bass heavy Southern rap like Killer Mike, T.I., Trick Daddy, and a few others. I may not be looking in the right place but I couldn't find anything online. I like rock too. Mostly I enjoy heavier sounds and I would love to experience something from Japan. I think it could take a while before I can get used to the pop music.

Question:

Are there Japanese rappers or rap groups? I myself am heavily into bass heavy Southern rap like Killer Mike, T.I., Trick Daddy, and a few others. I may not be looking in the right place but I couldn't find anything online. I like rock too. Mostly I enjoy heavier sounds and I would love to experience something from Japan. I think it could take a while before I can get used to the pop music.

I don't know much about those particular rap bands, but yet, there is "japanese rap", though I think they use the term "hip hop" more. 

This group "Rip Slyme" is in that genre, I think.  I don't know anything more specific than that.

RIP SLYME - Super shooter

I don't know much about those particular rap bands, but yet, there is "japanese rap", though I think they use the term "hip hop" more. 

This group "Rip Slyme" is in that genre, I think.  I don't know anything more specific than that.

RIP SLYME - Super shooter

Thanks for the suggestion! I dug it a bit with the simple Drum N Bass electric music and what sounded like rap over it. I'm definitely gonna listen to more of their stuff.

I was hoping to find something along these lines though

!!!!!NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW!!!!!

I greatly enjoy the Japanese take on other cultures. Lowriders for instance. Over here in America people drop their cars and ride real low. But in Japan they drop the entire vehicle to the ground. Its as if they they thrive on pushing boundaries and I love it!

• 1 month later...

Nothing to be ashamed about if you're singing J-pop. I know several Morning Musume songs that I just start singing out of nowhere. When I am out karaoke-ing, the only songs that I choose are jpop songs because I am more familiar with them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I tend to sing along to all anime openings/endings that I listen to, and I almost listen to every OP/ED of every anime I watch. After a few episodes I usually know the entire songs by heart, more or less...

I'm not really sure if it helps my learning or not, I suppose it may help my pronounciation and vocab a bit, but I don't think it's anything that will make a big differance. Besides, my aim with my japanese learning is completely passive knowledge. (i.e I want to understand japanese perfectly, but I don't care for speaking it nor writing it myself. Although I will most likely be able to do the latter two aswell when I'm fluent in understanding, I will probably not be very good at it)

Nothing to be ashamed about if you're singing J-pop. I know several Morning Musume songs that I just start singing out of nowhere. When I am out karaoke-ing, the only songs that I choose are jpop songs because I am more familiar with them.

I'm a Momusu fan too :D Who's your favorite member?  :tongue:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an avid listener to J-Pop music, but to be more precise, I enjoy listening to opening and ending theme songs of my favorite anime and tokusatsu (Japanese special effects) shows, as well as from certain video games.  As of right now, I'm currently listening to the song Russian Roulette by J-rock guitarist Tomoyasu Hotei. 

Tomoyasu Hotei - Russian Roulette

I love singing J pop as well and watching anime, but no, I'm not trying to learn japanese right now, not at all!  I must admit I've already learnt several words, I sometimes use them with my friend who is actively learning the language and also happens to love watching anime.

It's fun, we often talk about the j pop bands we love (we got to know most of them thanks to the anime we watch) and share new songs on Skype :)  So fun!  He is already very fluent in japanese!  My hero!

I sing some anime songs, so I guess that counts. The first one I memorized is the theme song from Voltes V. Haha. And then, from DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Flame of Recca and Hunter X Hunter.  Other than that, I don't know any other Japanese songs.