Linguaholic

Oxford Dictionaries 2013 Word of the Year Is Selfie

LauraM

Oxford Dictionaries just announced that their 2013 "Word of the Year" is "selfie."

They note that the frequency of the use of the word has risen steadily since 2012, and especially so this year. 

Interestingly, the word dates back to 2002.  They documented the first use of the term online was on a forum back then, 11 years ago.  It's just been recently that we've seen the word everywhere and, no doubt used it.  And, no doubt, taken selfies, too!

The full article is here.  It's a good read.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2013/11/word-of-the-year-2013-winner/

What do you think of their choice?  Do you think "selfie" deserves to be "word of the year?"  If not what word would you pick?

A lot of slang words that kids my age use tend to slip into the dictionary nowadays, as someone who loves the language I'm happy that it's growing and developing still (so it doesn't die out) but I'm also torn by the fact that it's the word "selfie"...

Selfie? It's a little bit embarassing but I don't know what this means exactly.

Those people you see holding their cell phones out pointed at themselves while they take a picture? That's a selfie. Short for self-portrait.

Australia's previous Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, is somewhat famous for the selfies he would regularly post on social media, especially Twitter.

It got to the point where some people were referring to him as the "selfie PM" and was even brought up (usually by his opponents) in parliamentary debates.

It's a real shame that the word of the year wasn't announced sooner; he only left politics the other day!

It's a fairly new word to me. It seems more like slang to me. I don't even like the word sounds. So, now I wouldn't choose it as the 2013 Word of the Year. I don't know what I would choose in it's place though.

It is a sign of how much social media influences modern culture and language. 

Well, language is always changing with time. Dictionaries aren't meant to be the gatekeepers of what is "real English", but to document the usage of words.

"Computer" was a new word of the 20th century, but I doubt anyone was complaining about the death of the English language over that one being included in the Oxford Dictionary. If "selfie" is a new word of the 21st century, and is used regularly by speakers of English (which it is, at least by young people), then I believe that it qualifies for inclusion in English dictionaries.

I'd scorn Oxford Dictionaries for this, but I know they've included silly buzz words and catch phrases for years. Helps keep people interested in their work I guess. But I don't consider it anything but slang.

That was exactly what I was thinking. Having popular nonsensical words win a not so popular but equally nonsensical award might just give that award and those responsible for the award a piece of the popularity.

• 4 years later...

I remember when watching Power Rangers Dino Charge and Tyler (the Red Ranger) took a selfie underground near lava while dying and sent it to his teammates. After he came back safe, her girlfriend Shelby (the Pink Ranger) called him out "Did you just take a selfie there?". I checked the fandom not long after the episode ended and found some of them surprised, "Did I just hear the word 'selfie' on Power Rangers?".

20 hours ago, Monox D. I-Fly said:

I remember when watching Power Rangers Dino Charge and Tyler (the Red Ranger) took a selfie underground near lava while dying and sent it to his teammates. After he came back safe, her girlfriend Shelby (the Pink Ranger) called him out "Did you just take a selfie there?". I checked the fandom not long after the episode ended and found some of them surprised, "Did I just hear the word 'selfie' on Power Rangers?".

hahaha. funny story!