Linguaholic

Amazon and Kindle

sulayman

I should say that while I've read many e-books of various types on my computers, I have resisted buying any form of e-reader so far, and in particular have resisted buying a Kindle, although I've bought many books and other products from amazon in the past and will do in the future. This is not (simply) an "anti-amazon" prejudice of mine, although like many people I worry about the effect they have had on traditional booksellers, and also their exploitation of tax loopholes.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Honestly, coming from someone who loves to read, Kindle is a great way to fully immerse yourself in a language. The lessons that are taught at school or even privately can sometimes be far too standardised and make you stand out (in a bad way) to natives, for example many English classes in foreign countries teach the "Queen's English" which is never actually spoken in the UK.

While I love digital books and I feel tempted to own a Kindle when it was first released, the sole price of this device makes me think that Amazon Kindle books is not worth.

Many books available in kindle format can also be found in PDF format elsewhere and read on any handheld device, computer or laptop.

As for booksellers of paper books, well I know is their business, but for me paper books is not longer the idea to have a book library at home as I used to have one in the past.

Let's look at this from the industry and author's viewpoint for a moment. When music started moving to mp3 electronic format and away from the physical CD it became very easy to copy. Napster arose and music was swapped and downloaded at a breakneck pace across the planet. Finally the industry responded by coming up with a realistic pricing model making piracy less attractive.

• 2 months later...

I have resisted buying a Kindle because of my love for traditional bookstore. In the past 2 years, 4 bookstores have closed near me. It's horrible. Even my favorite niche bookstore closed last year. It's been a pillar in the community since I was a kid. It was so sad to see it close.

I do understand that digital books are the wave of the future. I finally broke down and downloaded the Kindle app for my PC and my Android phone.

I am not using a Kindle but I have to say that it is a pretty cool device. In some "situations", it really makes sense to use an ebook reader instead of regular books. For instance, when going on a holiday, it is just much more convenient to upload some nice books on your Kindle than packing your luggage with 25 regular books (thinking about the weight!)  :grin:

I heard that the Kindle comes with a built-in dictionary? Can somebody confirm this? Or maybe we are not talking about a built-in dictionary here but you somehow have the possibility to look up words, right?

I should say that while I've read many e-books of various types on my computers, I have resisted buying any form of e-reader so far, and in particular have resisted buying a Kindle, although I've bought many books and other products from amazon in the past and will do in the future. This is not (simply) an "anti-amazon" prejudice of mine, although like many people I worry about the effect they have had on traditional booksellers, and also their exploitation of tax loopholes.

Well, my take is simply that I if there are alternatives to anything that work out to be more cost-effective, why not use them? I don't have e-readers either. I think my windows 8 tablet is good enough to do the job.

I love traditional hard bound books and the thrill of going to bookstores to purchase them. I miss those days. I have never been a fan of ebooks.

I am a fan of eBooks in the sense that I can actually write and publish my own; earning from it at my disposal. Being a fairly good writer, I like the eBook idea. I tend to worry about using my tablet to read books though, when the traditional book would not require me using up any battery power. lol :grin: