Linguaholic

Three ways of asking questions in French

yurithebest1

I want to start this thread to talk about the three ways that you can use to ask the same question in the simple present (Present) in French and they are:

Avez-vous un livre?

Vous avez un livre?

Est-ce que vous avez un livre?

All these questions have the same meaning which is 'Do you have a book?' but in the first sentence we just switch the subject (vous) and the verb (avoir) which is conjugated in the present tense (avez), in the second sentence we don't switch them so it is just a simple sentence but the tone of the sentence has to be like asking a question, and in the last sentence we use 'est-ce que' which means 'is it that' so that we can make a question and usually after that form we don't switch the subject and the verb.

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have always wanted to learn French since I was a child. I am currently taking courses on a different language, but I have heard from some of my classmates that French is one of the most difficult to learn. Having read your explanation, I am beginning to feel discouraged in attempting to learn more about it haha! Discouraged, but challenged at the same time. I have to say, though, that this information was definitely interesting.

In addition to the three ways of asking questions in French presented by yurithebest1, I learned that there were also questions called "tag questions"

Example: Vous avez un livre.

• Intonation: Vous avez un livre?
  • Inversion: Avez-vous un livre?
  • Est-ce que: Est-ce que vous avez un libre?
  • Tag: Vous avez un libre, n'est-ce pas?

Remember that the "inversion" way of asking questions needs a "t" in the middle of the verb and pronoun if the last letter of the verb is a vowel and the pronoun is "il" or "elle."

For example: A-t-elle un livre?

I have always wanted to learn French since I was a child. I am currently taking courses on a different language, but I have heard from some of my classmates that French is one of the most difficult to learn. Having read your explanation, I am beginning to feel discouraged in attempting to learn more about it haha! Discouraged, but challenged at the same time. I have to say, though, that this information was definitely interesting.

Every foreign language is going to have things that seem impossible. Generally, it just takes time and study to get the hang of most things. French has certain things about it that make it more difficult compared to other foreign languages and certain things that make it less difficult compared to other foreign languages.

For an example comparison with Spanish, although pronunciation and spelling is more difficult in French than in Spanish, French completely avoids the immense difficulty of having two verbs for "to be" like Spanish does: "ser" and "estar" in Spanish but only "être" in French. The subjunctive is also generally more complicated in Spanish than it is in French.

Gaining proficiency in ANY foreign language isn't a cake-walk, but if you're really interested in studying French (or another foreign language) you can certainly give it a shot and see where it takes you.

P.S. The initial example in the first post about asking questions in different ways isn't really that confusing once you have some contact with the language for a while.  :)

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I agree with SirTenenbaum.  Don't let some of the bizarre complexities of French deter you from learning it.  It's true that there are certain things about the language that are difficult for a native English speaker.  There are other things about French that are very easy.  For example, if you're an English speaker, you already know a lot of French.  This is true for two reasons: 1. French is derived from Latin while English borrows numerous words from Latin.  2. English has borrowed a huge number of words from French and vice versa.  As an English speaker, you have a huge head start over native speakers of Russian, Mandarin, or Korean.  You can learn to recognize the Latin-derived words and make a minor change, and voilà (borrowed French word), you've got the French word you need.  For example, the "ism" words change to "isme" and then you use French pronunciation and you've got your word.  "Astigmatism" becomes "Astigmatisme." 

There are tough things like knowing when to keep consonants and when to voice them.  However, as is the case with any language, it gets easier with time.  When you first start, it will seem really hard.  Just keep using the language.  Don't worry if you butcher it at first.  That's normal.  There isn't anyone who's good at another language as a beginner.